Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Broken Sway Bar

Old 05-08-2007, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Sway Bar

Hello Jeepers,

Well, I was driving into my driveway 2 weeks after getting my 3"BDS suspension lift put on and I heard a loud "ping". I stopped and looked down to see the following on the ground:

I realized I was missing the bolt (it was no where to be found) I'm not sure how long ago it fell off. Upong closer inspection that was not the only problem. The hardware that attaches the lower part of the sway bar was bent, it normally sticks out at 90 degrees, it was now closer to 45 degrees see pic

Also, you can kind of tell with the above pic that the place where that normally straight piece of steel inserts into the sway bar is also slightly mangled

The shop that put the lift on had not seen anything like it. Also BDS told them they have not heard of that happening before. The only good news is that BDS replaced the part no questions asked and overnighted the new parts at no charge. I realize that we will go through a period of ironing out the kinks of these new lifts. If this is the worst of it I'll be very happy. Still lovin my jeep!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:01 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, I'm glad to hear they took care of you but in all honesty, that link design looks weak and I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last time you have it replaced.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Well, I'm glad to hear they took care of you but in all honesty, that link design looks weak and I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last time you have it replaced.
x2! Of course, loosing your sway bar is not a trail-ending event. Although your Jeep will be tippier maneuvering at highway speeds, it is a safety feature, not a mechanical requirement. One tip (pun intended) though: disconnect the other side as well--having only one side connected will produce very unsteady handling.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya WOL, I have to agree, it does look weak compared to the Tera Pin......Tera is much more meaty.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-09-2007, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Yes! Now that is what a link should look like!
Old 05-09-2007, 06:13 AM
Former Vendor

FWIW, I saw a factory one get really mangled on the trail on a *totally* stock Rubicon 2Dr. It looked like it caught the inside edge of the rim...it was disconnected at the time it happened.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread...

I am going to get the BDS Suspension 3" lift, which is what that (now broken) front sway bar quick disconnect was part of. Well, through my local shop I will be able to "build" my suspension kit...

The BDS front sway bar quick disconnects will not be in that package...

I REALLY like the looks of the Teraflex quick disconnects; looks like that's the way I'll go for part! Thanks to nam6869usmc for the pic with the Teraflex part! Very cool...

Quick Reply: Broken Sway Bar