Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Broken Spider Gears!! $61k miles

Old 06-17-2015, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Spider Gears!! $61k miles

New tires installed told me I had a busted seal on my axle. Went to replace that - drained differential fluid (need changed anyway) noticed broken spider gears

Still had warranty (i thought) but it is voided with 2" lift and 33" tires apparently -

(stealership) - Dealership wants $6500 to replace/ repair damage...seems more than unrealistic of course

how much of this can be done on my own? anything special required to replace the gears or seal?

any suggestions/information would be great? what causes these to break?
Old 06-17-2015, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NMMC
New tires installed told me I had a busted seal on my axle. Went to replace that - drained differential fluid (need changed anyway) noticed broken spider gears

Still had warranty (i thought) but it is voided with 2" lift and 33" tires apparently -

(stealership) - Dealership wants $6500 to replace/ repair damage...seems more than unrealistic of course

how much of this can be done on my own? anything special required to replace the gears or seal?

any suggestions/information would be great? what causes these to break?
6500 to replace spider gears? You can buy new spider gears foe under 100 and get 50 worth of oil and lube and change them yourself in a hour.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could get a whole new axle with a locker and gears for less than that. Sounds to me like they are trying to take advantage of you. Setting up gears takes some experience...replacing an axle not so much.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

What was the actual breakdown of the work involved? It was just for replacing spiders, or are they doing gears also? Or replacing the entire axle?

Youtube the install, lots of people do lunchbox lockers in their driveways so there should be plenty of similar installs to watch. Or just forget the spiders and grab an Aussie Locker, their website should have an install guide somewhere for you to look at along with the youtube vids. Or maybe it's time to consider gears and lockers. Or ...
Old 06-17-2015, 06:02 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Search around for a $999 re-gear special in your area. Screaming Lizard?
Old 06-17-2015, 06:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cfr
Search around for a $999 re-gear special in your area. Screaming Lizard?
no need to. Just keep the shims in order on each side of the carrier, fix the spider gear pins, and reinstall.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Front or rear? Either way if the carrier is not damaged there is no need to reset pinion or gear spacing. Just pull the carrier and reinstall new spider gears or a lunchbox locker. The dealer's quote is robbery.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:51 AM
JK Super Freak

I replace the spider gears in my ford bronco's 8.8 axle without removing carrier. I would just put lunch box locker!
Old 06-18-2015, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go to different dealership, they have to prove your lift and tires was the cause of it.

Quick Reply: Broken Spider Gears!! $61k miles