Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Broken Rear Rough County 2.2 Shocks

Old 06-30-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking mine wheeling this weekend...take a look afterwards.

Regardless I can almost guarantee the RC will back their stuff up. The customer service I received from the was outstanding.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

mark, nice discovery there. i might try slipping some big washers on the end so that they rub and not the bushings.

just spoke with rough country, they are shipping me out new bushings. we will have to see how long these ones last :/
Old 06-30-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

I think that the bushings are a cheap grade.
I put some in from autozone and they are alot better
Old 07-06-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

did the washer or better bushings solve this problem
Old 07-06-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Better bushings did solve the problem, as 2mossyoak mentioned above the ones that came with the shocks are really cheap and not very durable....I compared the ones he bought from AutoZone to the replacements that Rough Country sent, there IS NO comparison...the Rough Country bushings are MUCH softer and I can see how easily they could've gotten torn or cut.

EDIT:

here's the bushings that he used in place of the Rough Country ones....

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/shockbush.html

Last edited by JK-KJ; 07-06-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
Better bushings did solve the problem, as 1mossyoak mentioned above the ones that came with the shocks are really cheap and not very durable....I compared the ones he bought from AutoZone to the replacements that Rough Country sent, there IS NO comparison...the Rough Country bushings are MUCH softer and I can see how easily they could've gotten torn or cut.

EDIT:

here's the bushings that he used in place of the Rough Country ones....

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/shockbush.html
I just spent the weekend doing some hard wheeling.....Checked my shocks after and all is good to go with the bushings. Maybe bad/old rubber bushings?
Old 07-06-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm thinking it's just a bad batch...haven't heard of any others having problems till now.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

got word from rough country yes they did have a bad batch of bushings go out that wasn't caught in time.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

well guys, i got my bushings from them a few days ago, we will see how these ones hold up. hopefully the replacement ones i got werent part of the bad batch still.....
Old 07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

update replaced 1 bushing with the aftermarket one that was posted here thank you, drove to work and all of them have failed shocks clanking so went out today and found more bushings at autozone, ive taken shocks off /on so many times i have lost count pressing the shock bushings in is no fun and a real pain . do not buy the 2.2 shocks until they get this matter under control and if you have these get under your jeep now and see if bushings are still intact. if you take exit ramp with shock loose it most likely will set off esp also and thats always a hoot

Quick Reply: Broken Rear Rough County 2.2 Shocks