Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Broken Rear Rough County 2.2 Shocks

Old 06-29-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Rear Rough County 2.2 Shocks

Anyone else had this happen? The rubber bushings seem to have just worn away at one end, let it slide out and the shock moving all over the place. This was caused by driving on a 10 mile, mild dirt road. They will be getting a call tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get what you pay for Rough Country has come full circle from a cheap suspension company to a decent aftermarket manufacturer. But still their leaf springs bend because they are cheap and parts have failed on several freinds Jeeps. They are not bad but you just get what you pay for. I hope they fix it for you! Please keep us posted and tell about their customer service.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Sorry to hear about the shocks. I can't help you but I've been eyeing some of these up myself. How did you like them prior to the failure? I'll keep an eye out on this thread
Old 06-29-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

i just installed a 4" kit with the 2.2 shocks and im shakeing in my boots just looking at those pics. let us know what the end results are so if it happens to fail any one else. WE can be on top of it. good luck!
Old 06-29-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

My friend just installed the 2.5" RC lift with these shocks this past Friday and the SAME EXACT thing happened!! He called them and they are shipping new bushings to him at no charge...BUT, he went to Auto Zone and bought some better/beefier ones for a few bucks and hasn't had a problem...yet.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Did the cross pin come installed or did you have to put them in ?
Old 06-29-2008, 11:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the support guys. once i call them tomorrow i will let everyone know how it goes. i like the shocks a lot, but if i get new bushings and the same thing happens again, i might be looking for a new company......
Old 06-30-2008, 04:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mike97tj
Did the cross pin come installed or did you have to put them in ?
i think on my friend's he had to install them himself...said they were kinda loose, but the new bushings he got from AutoZone are MUCH tighter and stronger.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep-n-tee
i just installed a 4" kit with the 2.2 shocks and im shakeing in my boots just looking at those pics. let us know what the end results are so if it happens to fail any one else. WE can be on top of it. good luck!
there's no need to shake anything. I'm not saying this is good, but they're just shocks., I'm sure they're not that expensive.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I just looked at mine, which I installed a couple months ago. I haven't had a chance to wheel it, yet, and mine aren't showing that type of wear. However, I can see where, on both sides, the bushing is butted up against the metal of the shock tower on both rear shocks. This looks like it may be the source of the problem.

Quick Reply: Broken Rear Rough County 2.2 Shocks