Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Broken Body Bolt! Any Help!?

Old 09-23-2012, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MortuaR
YES - I got the bolt knocked out from the bottom up. Here is the source of my heartache:

It took me, my father-in-law, and his good buddy about 3 hours to work this POS out. In the end, I didn't have to lift the body off at all.

What. A. Nightmare. Lesson learned.

Thank you echo, remark, and coby dick for helping me out with this. I was losing my mind.
Whats the metric diameter of this bolt?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a weld stud, an internet search should find what you need. A SERRATED BOLT similar to a wheel stud my work as well. I found them on McMaster-Carr, but I don't know if that works for you in Zurich. I didn't find anything in metric. This should be enough info to point you in the right direction.

Last edited by KenB1010; 09-23-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KenB1010
This is a weld stud, an internet search should find what you need. A SERRATED BOLT similar to a wheel stud my work as well. I found them on McMaster-Carr, but I don't know if that works for you in Zurich. I didn't find anything in metric. This should be enough info to point you in the right direction.
Thanks for your reply - do you know the diameter and length?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

For those that have one of those studs laying around - there might be an ISO number on them. With this number they are easy to identify.
A fitting stud might be the Strux SX but I cant find a dealer for them. These studs are harder to get then a playmate virgin ;-)

Cheers JP
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpdio
For those that have one of those studs laying around - there might be an ISO number on them. With this number they are easy to identify.
A fitting stud might be the Strux SX but I cant find a dealer for them. These studs are harder to get then a playmate virgin ;-)

Cheers JP
I know this is a super old thread... but I just decided to reminisce on this bolt that still haunts me (on a Jeep I no longer own! haha).

As it turns out, I saved that bolt head as a trophy and a reminder of what the incorrect torque is for those bolts. The top of the bolt head says, "D 10.9". Hope that helps should anyone need it in the future.

About to go install some ACE Engineering rock rails on my brand new 2013 JKU Rubi I picked up yesterday. Wish me luck.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Why didn't you take out the isolator from the top and replace it?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKingAround
Why didn't you take out the isolator from the top and replace it?
I didn't want to go through the hassle of pulling the rest of the body (that I had just over tightened, obviously) to jack my body up and away from the frame to clear the other bolt. Shearing this one (the last one I had to tighten down) had my mind racing about all the other bolts that I had just overtightened as well.

But... I know what you mean.

Quick Reply: Broken Body Bolt! Any Help!?