Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Broken Body Bolt! Any Help!?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ECHO
Okay this is what you have.. I am smacking my self in the head.. you are going to have to follow the body lift instructions in the link I gave you and lift one side of your body up.. you will have to remove that mount and replace it with a new one.. the mount looks like the black ones in this picture.. the replace the front ones .. but; the side are the same just shorter.. I replaced all of mine a few weeks ago when I added by body lift.. bummer.. I threw them away I could have mailed you one..

Order a new mount from Jeep ... It's not a very difficult job.. follow the directions in the link.. until you are able to remove that one peice.. then replace it with the new one..
Yeah, you're exactly right - it's just like those pieces in the picture (The black ones). I might as well do a 1" body lift at the same time I suppose. Do you remember how much the replacements ran you? I'll likely redo all 4 I messed with as I know I overtorqued the others as well (the very last bolt broke, of course).

Thank you so much for your help man, you have no idea how much I appreciate it. This is my new baby (only had it for 2.5 weeks, 900 on the odometer) and I was freaking out a little bit when that happened. You're definitely making me feel better haha
Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Okay follow along with me here.. When I added my body lift I had to reuse the stock mounts.. I had to punch out the old bolts and then add the spacer and use the longer provided nuts & bolts.. so you can remove that bolt and replace it with another hight strength bolt right from a hardware store..

Use a center punch and pound it right up.. you may want to put some pb blaster on it first.. it will come out.. if you can't get it out.. then pull the mount and then beat it out and put a new bolt in...

Damn what was I thinking .. I must be tired or old age is gotten to me.. why would I forget that..
Haha! No no, I think you're thinking of the middle bolt again. On that lift pictured (any body lift that I can find, for that matter), you only replace the center bolt with longer bolts. Those side bolts never come out. Believe me, I've tried to convince this bolt to come out for hours... so I'm 99.9% positive it's welded or pressed in. If I can just find a replacement of that entire mount, I'll just lift the side and replace it. D:
Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

the bolts in the isolator that goes bolted to the chassis are just pressed in. Take the isolation out, and with a bench vice you can press them out. very easy to do. When installing a body lift you have to remove these and use the longer bolts supplied with the kit. I installed a body lift a while back, and the bolts you are talking about were easy out to pop out. I would say if you had a box ended wrench big enough fit around the head of the bolt ( to support it on a bench so you don't bend the tab on the isolator) and hit it with a dirty big hammer, you could hammer them out.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ah, you're right. So I've been trying to hammer that sucker out from the bottom so i wouldn't need to lift up the body but it's not working. I guess I'll pull the entire mount out by lifting the body up and then smack that sucker out and replace it. I am wondering though, because I know I over-torqued the other bolts on the other 3 mounts I touched, if I should just buy new mounts all together (with screws and bolts in place) and replace them all at once.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't I would leave them on there.. just get a new bolt, lock nut and washers and replace the broken one.. if you ever do a body lift you will have to knock out the rest.. unless you get a M.O.R.E. body lift.. then you will just pull the Center one..
Yeah, that sounds like a good course of action. I'm thinking I may do a M.O.R.E. body lift at the same time as I'll have to pull everything anyway and it attaches on the top (so it wont interfere with the sliders i threw on that bolt on those bolts). Do you think that would be an issue at all? The sliders mount up from below on those 2 smaller bolts and the MORE lift would be on top of that center bolt?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default FIXED. Whew.

YES - I got the bolt knocked out from the bottom up. Here is the source of my heartache:

It took me, my father-in-law, and his good buddy about 3 hours to work this POS out. In the end, I didn't have to lift the body off at all.

What. A. Nightmare. Lesson learned.

Thank you echo, remark, and coby dick for helping me out with this. I was losing my mind.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't be so happy echo, you know I'm gonna bug the shit out of you from now on.

but seriously, thanks a million. If you're ever in San Antonio, TX area let me know. I'm buying.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad you guys figured this out.

Now I have more useless jeep information stored in my brain.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Pressed-in?......Press-out!

Next time try jacking the Jeep up a small amount. Place a center punch on the sheared bolt. Support the punch from the ground up. Carefully lower the jack and hopefully the weight of the Jeep will force the bolt out. Conversely, You could use the jack to support the center punch; and jack the punch up to force the bolt out. Probably much safer that way. Adding a little heat from a propane torch probably wouldn't hurt either. Just make sure that you don't jack the Jeep so high that when the bolt releases; the punch point doesn't end up driving through your Jeep's floor.
My $0.02. Glad you got it out!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JINGLES
Next time try jacking the Jeep up a small amount. Place a center punch on the sheared bolt. Support the punch from the ground up. Carefully lower the jack and hopefully the weight of the Jeep will force the bolt out. Conversely, You could use the jack to support the center punch; and jack the punch up to force the bolt out. Probably much safer that way. Adding a little heat from a propane torch probably wouldn't hurt either. Just make sure that you don't jack the Jeep so high that when the bolt releases; the punch point doesn't end up driving through your Jeep's floor.
My $0.02. Glad you got it out!
Yeah Jingles, that was the thought we had, but we were worried about the punch going through as well - not to mention that you have to be sure to secure the body mount to the frame while doing this or it will bend really badly. We tried a similar approach and used a box wrench on top around the bolt head (to keep the body mount down) with an industrial grade c clamp holding it down while the bottom of the clamp pushed a punch up. The problem was the punch kept slipping and we weren't getting any movement out of the bolt. Being it was in such a crappy spot, we were forced to go the 'hulk SMASH' route... and it worked with very minor scratches at on the frame that I will need to touch up. You just have to be super careful to not let that punch slip before you smack it.

I'm still bummed this happened at all, but definitely a lesson learned. Thanks for all the feedback, I love this forum.

Quick Reply: Broken Body Bolt! Any Help!?