Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Broken Body Bolt! Any Help!?

Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Body Bolt! Any Help!?

Howdy everyone,

I ended up breaking a body bolt - I'm not sure the name of the bolt but it's next to the isolator (where the rubber isolators are)... Not sure how to show this but, it's like this:

o O o <---- this is how the bolts look... somewhat. It's the bolt on the left.

The problem is.. it seems that bolt is welded in somehow, so does anyone know how to get that bolt out to replace it? I'm out of ideas. :(

Thanks in advance
Old 02-27-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are not welded in, I think they are put in with something like blue locktight.

I am not a good person to ask, but I would guess that you could treat it like any bolt that breaks off and use an easy out bit.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by remark
They are not welded in, I think they are put in with something like blue locktight.

I am not a good person to ask, but I would guess that you could treat it like any bolt that breaks off and use an easy out bit.

Good luck.
Well, not the center big bolt... but one of the smaller bolts that hang down to the left or the right that you put the nut on.... the top doesn't have any type of bolt head and is completely flat... so I imagine it's welded somehow and I'm possibly SOL
Old 02-27-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I don't know that bolt. From your drawing I was assuming you were outlining all the big main bolts. I haven't taken my jeep as far apart as you seem to have the misfortune to encounter.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

No worries remark, thanks for replying!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
If you know someone who welds.. have them weld a nut on it and turn it out.. or get a drill and easy out to remove it. Thats how we do it at the shop
Hey echo! Thanks, but I think you're referring to the middle bolt, right? I'm referring to the smaller bolts to the left and right of that isolator bolt. I've tried clamping it and smacking the heck out of it with a hammer and punch with no love. I've also tried a chisel on top and I can't get it to budge. To see what I'm talking about, look where the frame and body meet just behind the front tire. That small bolt that you can see behind the fender wall broke off - the one that has a nut on the bottom. I need to pop it out to replace it... unless there is some way to replace that whole piece?
Old 02-27-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright, here are some pictures of the bolt I'm referring to:

This is from the wheel well where the body mount isolator is:

This is from the bottom looking up. The huge middle bolt is to the left and the bottom right is the sheared bolt:

Sorry for the low lighting. The bolt I'm talking about is that red topped bolt. Does anyone know if it's pressed in or welded? It didn't want to budge when using a chisel. Does this whole piece need to be replaced now or can I safely grind the top off? Any help is much appreciated.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nah, I was putting on some rock sliders and over-torqued the bolt and it sheared off. Not sure what my options are at this point short of asking them to replace that whole piece. If that is even possible.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

You may have to lift the body off the mounts on the one side to get it off.. follow the body lift directions on this link it will give you space to get the bolt out.. then just replace the bolt..

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

This the one your talking about?

No, it's the smaller bolt to the left of that middle bolt he's removing in the picture. They seem to be welded or pressed in. So, in that pic, the bolts coming from the top down that have the nuts on them, I sheared one of those.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

So if you feel between the body the mount you can feel if it has a head on it or if its welded.. I am going to check mine as well
Well, there is no head, but I don't see any welds... which is why I'm confused. Would you happen to know if they make OEM replacements for what whole piece?

Quick Reply: Broken Body Bolt! Any Help!?