Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Broke ring and pinion

Old 02-05-2023, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke ring and pinion

I had another thread goin which got no love , admin please delete gear patterns plz

I had a 4.88 front ring and pinion break for technical reasons, instead of same guy doin it again and possibly getting same results, I dove into it myself , I've always done my own mechanics stuff , so this isn't over my head , I just needed couple odd and end tools , well I got those , I've been thru 5 or 6 or so gear patterns , the camera makes em look different than in person. I'd be very grateful if I can get the opinion of the gear gurus here , here is the latest. Drive is on heel coast is on toe and towards middle , if I start putting more pinion shims in from here , the hard lone at bottom of pattern starts to show up but the movement of pattern goes towards middle. Little confused here

Old 02-05-2023, 04:09 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

looks like you need a little more shim on the pinion. You are a bit shallow on the engagement
Old 02-05-2023, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
looks like you need a little more shim on the pinion. You are a bit shallow on the engagement
Heres the new pattern with added shim , im at .040 shims and .020 oil baffle. I'm thinking another .005-.010 thou deeper to move drive pattern towards middle/toe. That sem like the right move ? Thanks

Old 02-05-2023, 07:31 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I would concure
Old 02-06-2023, 02:10 AM
JK Newbie

I would concure
Thanks I'll post another this eve of the change
Old 02-06-2023, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sour Apple
Thanks I'll post another this eve of the change
. So i was gonna add .010 to it and some how screwed up and added .005, so I added .010 to that for total.015 and my football shape is starting to go away and I got the straight line at bottom of pattern , I'm thinkin I went to deep and need take .005 back out for total of.010. Then again the pattern is staying towards the face of the tooth from what I can tell , it did move down some and it's centered pretty close from heel to toe
should i back the pinion off .005 because im getting the straight line at bottam of pattern?

Old 02-06-2023, 04:04 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Personally I would get the engament a bit deeper. How much back lash do you have?
Old 02-06-2023, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Personally I would get the engament a bit deeper. How much back lash do you have?
I have it at .007 right now. What u thinking 5 or another. 010 deeper
Old 02-07-2023, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

So I went another .010 deeper on the pinion and backlash set back to .007 and this is what I got now , I am out of marking compound (paint) so I put drop or 2 of gear oil and mixed it around in the container I had paint in , it's pretty much colored gear oil. Maybe little thicker , I don't have access to more until tomorrow probably, would white lithium grease work ?
Old 02-07-2023, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I would run it

Quick Reply: Broke ring and pinion