Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brink Fab Cage Built-Up on 4 Door JK

Old 04-29-2008, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Boy
it doesnt bolt into a tube, i'll check tomorrow but it looked weak so it had to be reinforced?

blueprints?
Ok ...so your wingin it, thats cool. I guess what I meant to ask was "could" you have done your cage, then bolt the cross bar to it. One of the 4x4 mags did one.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HUNTER
Ok ...so your wingin it, thats cool. I guess what I meant to ask was "could" you have done your cage, then bolt the cross bar to it. One of the 4x4 mags did one.

Damn, that had to take some balls!!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

nice work... I'm going to add a cage to Jk about 10 years from now when I've beat the hell out of it and am ready to rebuild it all. I will connect the cage to the engine compartment and add coilovers like off road evolution did in this link:

http://www.offroadevolution.com/proj...?g2_itemId=496

Don't forget to post final pics
Old 04-30-2008, 05:35 AM
JK Freak

lookin good man i plan on doing the rock ard kit for the fron and ill bend and weld my own for the rear i just dont want to deal with the dash lol
Old 05-06-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ

Damn, that had to take some balls!!!!
That would be way to much work to put the cross bar on it, another option would be to put gussets where the top bolts on.
You also have to consider other factors like: seat belts, hard top bolt on points, etc.

I'll post more pictures of the finished product when I'm done painting it :P but im at work for 2 weeks

"Ok ...so your wingin it.... One of the 4x4 mags did one."
If you say so bud, but look at the pictures you posted.
Not trying to cause an argument here but just give you guys a heads up.
If you weld the tube to the sheet metal you have 3 options:

1- dont put enought heat in the weld to fuse to the tube = weld failure
2- put enough heat in the weld, fuses to the tube, sheet metal gets affected = sheet metal failiure

3- do number to and stress relive the weld (expencive stuff) good weld! if wonder which option did the Ultimate Adventure Guys did their gage

Not saying that the ultimate adventure cage isn't good but I can put money on the fact that my will hold better
They way we designed it is to take several roll overs, flip it back and keep on wheeling, might as well spend the extra time, money, etc and build one that you dont have to replace every time you flip
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jk.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	8811  
Old 05-06-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dr.dirty
lookin good man i plan on doing the rock ard kit for the fron and ill bend and weld my own for the rear i just dont want to deal with the dash lol
I didn't want to deal with the dash! It scares me, way to much electronics and such... :S
Old 05-06-2008, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mountain man
nice work... I'm going to add a cage to Jk about 10 years from now when I've beat the hell out of it and am ready to rebuild it all. I will connect the cage to the engine compartment and add coilovers like off road evolution did in this link:

http://www.offroadevolution.com/proj...?g2_itemId=496

Don't forget to post final pics
That's a good one!!! I wish i had the funds to do it
Old 05-06-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not trying to cause an argument here but just give you guys a heads up.

No argument at all
You have probably forgotten more than I know about cages!!

Thats why I what to hear your opinion about my ideas. I dont want to cut the body pillar down like the magazine Jeep. I want a hoop from side to side in that location opposed to being set back like you did. Is the factory bar connected to the body in that location? Another pic that I found.
Thanks again for the input.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Interesting idea on that cage, but with all honesty I'd try to stay away from plates... it's a matter of choice, do you want estetics or strength.
The plate will hold, ONCE!!!

I'm not sure if I really get your question. Do you still want to use ONLY the factory pillar? It can be done, but you might have to trim inside it. PS: be very carefully if you have to weld to sheet metal!
Try taking out the seatbelts and get a tube and fit it in there, ductape it in place and just check if your seat still has movement. I had to do mine like that due to my height 6' 8"

I have to admit that there's not to much room in the back, for to reloacate the bench
Old 05-06-2008, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

When you say plate, are you talking about the sides around the dash? Or the feet of the down tubes?
I want aesthetics AND strenght!!

I want to remove what ever tube is under the plastic at the pillar and replace it with the cage down tube, but wanted to know how it ties into the body, my LJ had a triangular bracket at the jamb. I dont plan to keep any factory tubes and DONT want to mess with the body if it doesnt need it.
Did you tape the tube outside the plastic trim? Im 5'9" shouldnt be an issue, but when viewed from the side my seat is past the body pillar??
Have you ever seen the JT concept or gr8tops half cab hard tops? Thats what im aiming for with a full cage inside. Again thanks for your input and listening to me ramble!

Quick Reply: Brink Fab Cage Built-Up on 4 Door JK