Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brink Fab Cage Built-Up on 4 Door JK

Old 04-28-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I have to see pics of that.....
Added

How does that work come safety time? I am pretty sure you arent worried about voiding the warranty.....but in my case where i could be posted anywhere in Canada at any time, I have to think about the safeties I go through.
Put it this way, if you thread lightly, and don't drive like a 16yr old with a "done up honda civic" you won't get i trouble, I have a stinger that sticks 1 foot above the hood, tires stick out of the fenders, HI beam HID lights and all those are illegal, however i never got in trouble.

The jeep roll bar, it's called a sports cage, no meant for roll overs.
But you can never plan enought. Lets say I make a chromolly cage, flip it, the cage doest even move, but my neck lands on a tree stump... dead. It's the bad side of our sport...

I have another military guy here who wants to do something like that but make a spare tire holder over the back...but has the same concerns as me. Is there some sort of regulatory body that can check things out and ensure that it meets some sort of guidline?

I wanted to do that too... but if he's planning on going more the 33's ...good luck, that will kill your back :S
I wanted it to do it, looked into it, it looks amazing! but not practical

Looks good though....
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gophergunner.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	8430  
Old 04-28-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Junkie

[QUOTE=Rubicon Rando;464118]stock cages are basically for looks... hard pressed to call them a roll cage...
safties shouldn't be an issue, actually making the vehicle safer... if the cage is done properly. no different then a 1/4 mile street car that has a cage in it.

QUOTE]

I havent called any places that do safeties but I wonder what they would think.
We of course have our own opinions on what should be there, notwithstanding the fact that is may not work, it is factory installed...and some knob may fight tooth and nail about it being needed. Somewhat like welding into the frame may not weaken it....but you know it will void your warranty
Old 04-28-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-Boy
Oh I have to see pics of that.....
Added

How does that work come safety time? I am pretty sure you arent worried about voiding the warranty.....but in my case where i could be posted anywhere in Canada at any time, I have to think about the safeties I go through.
Put it this way, if you thread lightly, and don't drive like a 16yr old with a "done up honda civic" you won't get i trouble, I have a stinger that sticks 1 foot above the hood, tires stick out of the fenders, HI beam HID lights and all those are illegal, however i never got in trouble.

The jeep roll bar, it's called a sports cage, no meant for roll overs.
But you can never plan enought. Lets say I make a chromolly cage, flip it, the cage doest even move, but my neck lands on a tree stump... dead. It's the bad side of our sport...

I have another military guy here who wants to do something like that but make a spare tire holder over the back...but has the same concerns as me. Is there some sort of regulatory body that can check things out and ensure that it meets some sort of guidline?

I wanted to do that too... but if he's planning on going more the 33's ...good luck, that will kill your back :S
I wanted it to do it, looked into it, it looks amazing! but not practical

Looks good though....
Thank you!
Wow is that him in the pics smiling? Ouch...
Well I am looking forward to seeing how yours turns out....
I also noticed you have aftermarket seats....I thought the elctronics didnt allow that?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

stock cages are basically for looks... hard pressed to call them a roll cage...
safties shouldn't be an issue, actually making the vehicle safer... if the cage is done properly. no different then a 1/4 mile street car that has a cage in it.

what he said + when I built my stinger I called vehicle regulations (in Alberta) and they told me as long as it solid, no sharb edges, ext you're ok with it.
I wont worry about it

hope to see more more pics of the JK... very curious as to how you have done the windsheild and dash work
Pattience my friend... i had the jeep gone for a month now :S I'm the unpatient one

sweet TJ btw, well before the roll... LOL, where you able to get 'er going again? and i take it noone was hurt?

TJ was and still drivable, just let it sit to the the oil back in place... smoked good

only problem were the fenders, and body, the body bent becasue the stinger was attacked to the fenders...
I flew right up in the air, landed on it's roof
Old 04-28-2008, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=dyolfknip;464159]
Originally Posted by Rubicon Rando
stock cages are basically for looks... hard pressed to call them a roll cage...

QUOTE]

I havent called any places that do safeties but I wonder what they would think.
We of course have our own opinions on what should be there, notwithstanding the fact that is may not work, it is factory installed...and some knob may fight tooth and nail about it being needed. Somewhat like welding into the frame may not weaken it....but you know it will void your warranty
not quite sure what your are getting at here but... a custom cage WILL pass a safety

roger on the patience LOL
Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

IN YOUR DRIVEWAY?!? nice... you neighbours must love you hahaha

looks good man, not going right to the frame? can you post some pics of what you did for the windsheild, and how you went around, or through the dash... thanks man, looks sweet

we need more pics of 2 dr cages...
Looks cool, I too want to see how the front was done. I'm sure someone will comeout with something similar to the TJ's cage which utilizes flatbar beside the dash then mounts to the ground. This was nicely done.

Man I bet the neighbors love the noise and welding flash ...wonder what my Home Owners deed says about that
Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Junkie

[QUOTE=Rubicon Rando;464178]
Originally Posted by dyolfknip

not quite sure what your are getting at here but... a custom cage WILL pass a safety

I dont doubt it.....what are you basing your answer on though? Are you a mechanic? It isnt the kind of thing you would want to do and hope for the best.....
Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Wow is that him in the pics smiling? Ouch...
Well I am looking forward to seeing how yours turns out....
I also noticed you have aftermarket seats....I thought the elctronics didnt allow that?
hahaha, yeah! he always flips it and smiles for the picture

Electronics???? what electronics?!?!?!? hahaha
I have 75,000km on it, dont care about warranty... so I'm kinda missing some stuff....
next step will be stability control, traction control, roll over control, abs, passager airbag :S

Don't tell the dealership yet! still got 25g KM on drivetrain (but i'm gonna put a toggle switch on them so i can go back to the dealership :P
Old 04-28-2008, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=dyolfknip;464185]

I dont doubt it.....what are you basing your answer on though? Are you a mechanic? It isnt the kind of thing you would want to do and hope for the best.....

not a mechanic. I'm a Welding QC inspector with a Mechanical Eng background. My buddy that's building it, he's a carpanter and a really good welder. It's not a day process. The whole cage is thought over and it's been more then a month process.
Again on cages there's no guarantee if they'll hold or now, depending on the sittuation! S..t happens but I'm not planning on rolling it! It's my daily driver! But one thing's for sure, I rather roll with it, then with a stock one! but I'm hopping that wont happen :P
Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
Looks cool, I too want to see how the front was done. I'm sure someone will comeout with something similar to the TJ's cage which utilizes flatbar beside the dash then mounts to the ground. This was nicely done.
i dont know if there is enough room for the flat bar... its pretty tight between the door and the dash. but that is what i am hoping for.

[QUOTE=dyolfknip;464185]

not a mechanic, basing it on experience and the fact the jeep shops put custom cages in street legal trucks everyday and the many jeeps are bought and sold and plated with cages all the time. but if you are still not so sure about it... call a jeep shop or any shop that makes cages for cars/trucks/jeeps/whatever and ask if cages are legal or not. i am 99.9&3/4%sure that are totally legal

Quick Reply: Brink Fab Cage Built-Up on 4 Door JK