Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Breaks!!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaks!!

Time for breaks
I've never done them and need advice on a good set I got 35 toyos
Any ideas on brands and types??
Old 09-05-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I just replaced mine with POWERSTOP drilled and slotted rotors. Cut my braking distance in half.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by c17loadmaster
Well I just replaced mine with POWERSTOP drilled and slotted rotors. Cut my braking distance in half.
What was the price point?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by c17loadmaster
Seriously? You cut your braking in half with a set of rotors? I'm not calling bs but I would sure like to see a before and after of that.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigSteve

Seriously? You cut your braking in half with a set of rotors? I'm not calling bs but I would sure like to see a before and after of that.
Yes seriously. I couldn't believe how underpowered the stock brakes were. I also replaced my brake lines with crown stainless lines, that took some of the "mush" out of the pedal.

Check it out.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/2007-2011-j...07-2011j1.jcwx

Totally worth it. No more brake dust on my wheels either. Just make sure you follow the " break in" instructions and you will be stopping on a dime in no time. I run a 4 inch lift, 35 inch nitto trail grapplers, winch, and a loaded down ORFAB tire carrier.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

I highly doubt you can cut breaking distance in half with drilled and slotted rotors alone. Even with a massive brake kit for the JK I doubt you could achieve that. Either way, I've always been under the impression drilled rotors were bad for any sort of offroading anyways. Something about mud and holes in rotors makes me a little uneasy.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well it worked for me. I don't go muddin' so I am not worried about that. See if you can replace your factory brakes with original equipment for $350 and get the performance I did. Let me know how that turns out.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

OH...I see now. You did pads, rotors and stainless lines. Ok, you originally just said rotors and I was like there is no way. With all that I could see it making a pretty good difference. I don't know about half the distance. But I'd be willing to bet the difference was notable.

Quick Reply: Breaks!!