Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Breaking in gears

Old 12-05-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in gears

Hey guys and gals,

Getting my 2012 auto back in about 5 hours with new 4:88 gears. Any advice on breaking them in? I have read several threads and everyone has their own opinion.

Let me know!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

Awesome I have no idea but let me know how it feels. What size tire are you running.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brightwhite
Hey guys and gals,

Getting my 2012 auto back in about 5 hours with new 4:88 gears. Any advice on breaking them in? I have read several threads and everyone has their own opinion.

Let me know!
If you had them put on at a shop, I would go with their recommendations. Otherwise, I had mine put on at a local 4Wheel Parts and they advised to drive under 50 for the first 25 miles with out harsh acceleration. Then, regular driving without going off-road for the next 475 (a total of about 500 they said). The point is to not get the gears overly hot and change the molecular structure of the metal. Just drive carefully, not on the freeway doing 80+ and you should be fine. After 500 miles, have the oil in the housing changed to a good quality type and go on your way and drive normally from that point on.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Had mine done this year and my guy said about the same as the above post. My two cents worth extra is not to drive long distances in any period of the break in (less than 25 miles at a time) and not to go over 50 for the whole of the break in. My question is for after the break in period in 2WD, should you do a similar break in period in 4WD? I didn't know for sure so I did about 100 miles in 4HI and about 20 in 4LO on regular dirt roads before I did any real wheeling. Everything is holding up fine and I love being able to accelerate uphill in 6th It takes longer than you might think to rack up 500 miles of short trips at low speed and RPM but it will be well worth it when you hit the first real trail and you're in 4LO 1 creepin like a snail (a real powerful snail).

Last edited by wheaties; 12-05-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

You'll notice that the first 50 miles or so, the pumpkin is going to get very hot and you may get some gear whine at first too. I believe with differentials, a long slow break-in is the way to go, then just change the gear oil after 500 miles or so.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

curious what you had to pay? I have 3.21's in my 2013 JKU and I know at some point going to have to change gearing so I can run at least 33" tires.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wheaties
Had mine done this year and my guy said about the same as the above post. My two cents worth extra is not to drive long distances in any period of the break in (less than 25 miles at a time) and not to go over 50 for the whole of the break in. My question is for after the break in period in 2WD, should you do a similar break in period in 4WD? I didn't know for sure so I did about 100 miles in 4HI and about 20 in 4LO on regular dirt roads before I did any real wheeling. Everything is holding up fine and I love being able to accelerate uphill in 6th It takes longer than you might think to rack up 500 miles of short trips at low speed and RPM but it will be well worth it when you hit the first real trail and you're in 4LO 1 creepin like a snail (a real powerful snail).
The front gears are always turning, just the same as the rear, regardless of weather your in 2 or 4wd. The front gears just are not being powered because the transfer case isn't engaged, but they are turning and breaking in.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jadmt
curious what you had to pay? I have 3.21's in my 2013 JKU and I know at some point going to have to change gearing so I can run at least 33" tires.
It was $1800 with g2 4:88's, g2 diff covers, replaced the bearings in both axles, install kist., and labor. Could have done it for $1500 without all the extras.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Just picked her up earlier! It's great!

Shop broke it in for the first 20 miles. They advised to keep it at 65mph or lower for the next couple hundred miles and try to do short trips. They also said no "flooring it" and excessive acceleration. I take it back after 500 miles to change the fluids and re-torque everything.

They said that most are overly cautious to 500 miles, but they are of the school of thought that 100-200 miles be really easy on it,'then you can let it rip a little more. Just don't abuse any thing or take a long road trip.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brightwhite

It was $1800 with g2 4:88's, g2 diff covers, replaced the bearings in both axles, install kist., and labor. Could have done it for $1500 without all the extras.
Be careful getting new bearings. There is a ton of cheap crap being produced right now. Same with the ring gear bolts most of the new ones are trash, thus the reason you have to cover them with lock tight.

Quick Reply: Breaking in gears