Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Breaking Beads with Hi-Lift

Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking Beads with Hi-Lift

Hi Everyone,

After wheeling a few weeks ago I found that I have a slow leak between one of the wheel/tires on the front. (Using soapy water I have found the leak to be around the bead.

I have a Hi-Lift jack, but not the bead break optional attachment. Is it good practice to break the bead with the base of the standard jack, or should I just take the easy way out and take the tire/wheel to a tire shop? (I figured it would be good practice for the trail if I could do it myself.)

Thanks for any comments.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Discount tire has FREE flat repair.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have you ever fixed a flat tire ??Do you have the patch/kit??

Have you ever taken a tire off IT'S wheel and then reinstalled???

Originally Posted by Jeff09
Hi Everyone,

After wheeling a few weeks ago I found that I have a slow leak between one of the wheel/tires on the front. (Using soapy water I have found the leak to be around the bead.

I have a Hi-Lift jack, but not the bead break optional attachment. Is it good practice to break the bead with the base of the standard jack, or should I just take the easy way out and take the tire/wheel to a tire shop? (I figured it would be good practice for the trail if I could do it myself.)

Thanks for any comments.

Jeff
If not, then whats the good in busting the bead with your HiLift jack???

Go have it fixed !!

JIMBO
Old 08-05-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I dont see why you couldnt break the bead using your high lift jack. Of course it would be easier to bring it to a tire shop, but.....

corey d
Old 08-05-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

I think he's telling us the leak is around the bead, not from a puncture in the tire. So I'm taking it he just needs to break the bead on the one side in order to clean it out and remove whatever dirt/debris is causing the leak. If I was in Indy and not an hour south, I'd say run it by- I have a nice new rim clamp tire machine for just these occasions. Too far away to be worth saving the $5 of getting it taken care of local though.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

you may not have to completely brake the bead down to clean the dirt out. I did it in my driveway to try it, and then a month later I had to do it on the trail, and it works great. Just push the bead down enough to clean it out. It may work, and i think it is good practice for the trail. There is no tire shop on the trail.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote to give it a shot if you have the time. What do you have to loose? If you screw up put it in another vehicle and take it to a shop. If you are successful, pat you’re self on the back for me. Best of luck
Old 08-07-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a similar problem after airing down, I got sand/dirt between the bead & rim, took it to a tire company and for FREE they dismounted the tire and re-mounted/weights too FREE. They suggested me to carry a fine wire brush and air blowing Nozzel tool to snap into my Warn Air line and blow out any sand or dirt before re-inflating the tires. I had a similar incident and his suggested tools WORKED GREAT...... Give it a try.....

JUST KEEP IN MIND, a lot of the tire shops offer FREE tire/flat repair.....

Last edited by beadbus; 08-07-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Breaking Beads with Hi-Lift