Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Break-in Period after Regear????

Old 07-28-2010, 10:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-in Period after Regear????

I think someone said something about this before. Im getting mine done in a few days. Is there a break in period? Can I drive off the lot normally or do I have to take it slow for 2000 miles or so?

if not, how do you break in???
Old 07-28-2010, 11:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Commando-8
I think someone said something about this before. Im getting mine done in a few days. Is there a break in period? Can I drive off the lot normally or do I have to take it slow for 2000 miles or so?

if not, how do you break in???
Take it easy at various speeds for about 500 miles. Best thing to do is drive out of town for the day and not use cruise control. Since the JK has magnetic diff drain plugs you don't really need to worry about any small metal shavings from the break in. Just make sure it doesn't leak.

Many shops though like to inspect the install after the break in period, possibly pulling the covers off and looking at the wear pattern.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:00 AM
JK Newbie

As Alec said take it easy for the first 500 miles. Vary you speeds some if on the highway and after 500 miles if your shop wants to inspect the pattern again get it done otherwise drain your oil and refill.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Ask the shop what their recommendation is. They are the ones honoring the warranty, after all...

This is from Randy's r&p
What is the break-in proceedure for a new set of gears?
All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. After driving the first 15 or 20 miles it is best to let the differential cool before proceeding. I recommend at least 500 miles before towing. I also recommend towing for very short distances (less than 15 miles) and letting the differential cool before continuing during the first 45 towing miles. This may seem unnecessary but I have seen many differentials damaged from being loaded before the gear set was broken in.
I also recommend changing the gear oil after the first 500 miles. This will remove any metal particles or phosphorus coating that has come from the new gear set.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:59 AM
JK Freak

Just take it easy for 500 miles. Avoid full throttle and shock loads. Change the oil after 500 miles.

When I had mine done, I tried to avoid the highway for the first 100 miles. I did a number of short city trips (10 - 15 miles) and then let the diffs cool fully after each one. That was easy for me though because my commute to and from work is 14 miles of city roads.

I
Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 AM
JK Super Freak

I was told you wanted to let the metals heat up and cool down so do alot of short trips.
also not to push it and shock load it
Old 07-29-2010, 04:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doin 75-80mph on the interstate for an hour was how mine got broken in.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:09 AM
JK Freak

The shop will probably do 2-3 runs while on the lift for a few "miles" then let it cool after each one. At least a decent shop should.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

My shop told me to drive 15 miles stop and cool 15 min and repeat one more time. He said nothing about speeds. He did however forbid me to drive it to lake havasu some 500 miles away. After 500 mile break in I took it back for gear oil change and inspection. He said I can have fun now.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

If this is all true, I wonder how they break in the gears at the factory when its all new. Do they just run it on rollers?

Quick Reply: Break-in Period after Regear????