Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brand New Procomp Control Arm Came Apart

Old 07-04-2012, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New Procomp Control Arm Came Apart

When I decided on a kit I went with the ProComp stage II because of the fact that it included motsly everything. It has been on the Jeep for a month and 500 miles. Never even got the chance to wheel the thing off road yet. Driving it yesterday I notice this klunking..... I get out and look under to find that the part of the arm that holds the bushings into the ball on the frame mount side has come apart. There is a threaded ring that keeps this assembly together and that ring had backed out completely. The perplexing part is that there is an allen set screw that mates with a gap on this ring to prevent it from backing out on its own. The only think I can think is that either the ring is too small or the area that accpets this ring is too big and it simply popped out past the threaded portion. I have reassembled it and at this point I have zero trust in its ability to remain assembled. Attachment 337169All I know is that if this is what I can expect from a Procomp product then I am pretty disappointed..... They haven't even seen the dang dirt yet! Anyone else have this experence? I have attached a PIC of the ball that is now destroyed from flapping around freely!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0694.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	337171
Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Yea mine did too. About 3 years ago I bought the top of the line procomp lift for about 2k and got about $300 worth of performance out of it.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

unfortunately, procomp isn't exactly known for quality and you do get what you pay for. i have seen this before and, even if you were to put everything back together again, i can guarantee you that it will just happen again. the outer collar is most likely warped and the lock ring is slipping past the threads.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
unfortunately, procomp isn't exactly known for quality and you do get what you pay for. i have seen this before and, even if you were to put everything back together again, i can guarantee you that it will just happen again. the outer collar is most likely warped and the lock ring is slipping past the threads.
That is what I waas thinking. I had repaired it on the road on my back last night and after my post I went to the garage and pulled it off of the Jeep to repair it on the bench. Nope....... the ring can be pressed in and out by hand... What junk! I plan to call ProComp in the morning to see what their response is. I'll post their solution.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0699.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	337185
Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 AM
JK Junkie

Call them. They should send you a new arm and bushings.

I remember seeing on here someone had the same issue, but i think they had a JKS Adjustable Trackbar. What they did was Spot Weld one of the nuts so it wouldn't come apart on them.

Search it up some more, it's been a few months since reading that. Good Luck
Old 07-04-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Delux2769
Call them. They should send you a new arm and bushings.

I remember seeing on here someone had the same issue, but i think they had a JKS Adjustable Trackbar. What they did was Spot Weld one of the nuts so it wouldn't come apart on them.

Search it up some more, it's been a few months since reading that. Good Luck
I do weld so even if they send me a new one I think it would be best to throw a quick spot on all 4 lowers. The next thing is to go with these..... Click image for larger version

Name:	RK.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	337243
There is no nut to come loose on you. I just hate to spend $300 to replace a brand new part.

Quick Reply: Brand New Procomp Control Arm Came Apart