Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Bracket, Adj, Other ??
No Change? (just put the springs in and go)
4.17%
Use Brackets?
8.33%
Use Adj Trackbar?
83.33%
Other (opinions)
4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

To Braket or Not?

Old 07-15-2008, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Braket or Not?

I am going with the OME heavy load suspension, my question is for this lift amout I am pretty sure the track bar needs to either be 1.Bracketed, or 2. Install adj trackbar. Now here is the hard part which do you reccomend for someone who only trail 6 to 7 times a year with up to 20k a year on the Jeep, i am leaning twards the adj track bars(had good luck with them in the past and I think they offer more adjustability) but i wanted to see what type of discussion we might wring out, maybe more good and bad points?? Thanks JOE>
Old 07-15-2008, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do some serious research on this. Depending on the lift, Some of the track bar brackets are being placed in a bind and ripped off. My lift had weld on brackets that increased the strength. No problems so far
Old 07-15-2008, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

You need to do some more research before you purchase the HD lift from OME. If your goal is to get more lift (3"+) without having to buy additional components such as adj track bars, adj control arms, etc. then you have been steered in the wrong direction. That is not the purpose of the OME HD kit. If you are needing the HD springs because of heavy additional weight on your JK, such as after-market bumpers, winch, roof rack, heavier spare tire, hi-lift jack, etc., then the HD lift will serve you well. Otherwise, you're better off getting the light load lift from OME that will give you around 2" of lift, or a true 3" full lift kit from any number of manufacturers. Remember, an after-market bumper alone is not enough to compress the HD coils. However, if you add a winch, a winch bar and skid plates, then you may need the HD coils.

My recommendation is that you read the following threads before you do anything:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/ome-flighty-steering-help-44528/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/question-about-old-man-emu-2-lift-26069/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/ome-light-duty-arb-bumpers-trackbar-upper-conrol-arm-install-45064/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/un-official-ome-lift-thread-45408/

Feel free to post more questions - as I am sure you will have after reading many of these threads.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When I ordered my 2 door Rubicon, I looked at all the lift options available.

I wanted to install it myself and I went with David's (at Northridge) OME HD kit with the FT trackbars and added a set of FT upper front control arms in order to address any steering issues after discussion with David.

Concerned with the heavy weight of my bumpers, winch, and spare, I added 3/4" Skyjacker front spacers and 10mm rear OME spacers, extended brake Crown brake lines also, and after settling just a little bit it is at 40.75" fender lip to pavement all around with the 35" Toyos.

I originally installed just the OME springs and shocks as the FT parts were on backorder for a week, but as I added the FT front and rear trackbars first, and then the FT upper control arms, it was surprising how much better the suspension characteristics became.

The only thing I would do different if I had to do it over again would be to wait untill I had all the parts on hand and do it all at once.

Many thanks to David at Northridge.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:02 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the problem with relocation brackets is that if it's not made specifically for the amount of lift your coils will yield, you could actually over compensate in your axle correction. or, if they are not tall enough, you could still be under. if you feel the need to recenter your axles, an adjustable set of track bars is the way to go with this lift.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:21 AM
JK Junkie

Personally, I'd go with adj trackbars...Some benefits include the option of getting a higher lift in the future w/out having to purchase another set of adj trackbars, more accuracy in centering your axles, beefier trackbars compared to the stock ones and less chances of your factory track bar mounts breaking...
Old 07-16-2008, 03:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nclehmann
You need to do some more research before you purchase the HD lift from OME. If your goal is to get more lift (3"+) without having to buy additional components such as adj track bars, adj control arms, etc. then you have been steered in the wrong direction. That is not the purpose of the OME HD kit. If you are needing the HD springs because of heavy additional weight on your JK, such as after-market bumpers, winch, roof rack, heavier spare tire, hi-lift jack, etc., then the HD lift will serve you well. Otherwise, you're better off getting the light load lift from OME that will give you around 2" of lift, or a true 3" full lift kit from any number of manufacturers. Remember, an after-market bumper alone is not enough to compress the HD coils. However, if you add a winch, a winch bar and skid plates, then you may need the HD coils.

My recommendation is that you read the following threads before you do anything:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44528

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45064

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45408

Feel free to post more questions - as I am sure you will have after reading many of these threads.

Good luck!

I guess I should have added my plans as to get better feedback. I plan on running 285/75-16's with an Expedittion one Rear bumper and tire carrier, Shrockworks mid width front w/ 9,000lb Warn, congo cage and tools in the back at all times(total on tools is about 40lbs. So I do have the over wieght concerns as well, ,Thanks for all the replies. JOE>

Quick Reply: To Braket or Not?