Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brakes/rotor????????

Old 09-09-2009, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes/rotor????????

i want to up grade my breaks but have heard some interesting stuff for instance someone told me dont go with ceramic because if u get dirt on ur rotors when u stop if will rip up the pad? is any of that true? and also what would be a good rotor to get cuz i have no idea on that? like is it bad to get slotted? and wont dirt get stuck in there?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:27 AM
JK Junkie

Dirt won't get stuck in a slotted rotor for very long. A Highway jaunt or even less will clear them out pretty quick.

Also, take a look at EBC's website for what makes the most sense for your use. I know they have some pads that handle dirt and sand well. If you have a big heavy rig, then the yellow stuff pads they offer is probably a route to consider.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:27 AM
JK Freak

are the people telling you this from personal experience or is it their hunch?

why do you want to upgrade the brakes
Old 09-09-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

Personally I am more concerned about the stopping power of my truck than my JK. It weighs nearly a ton more than my Jeep and I tend to drive it at higher speeds. When it was time to get the brakes done, I opted for EBC brakes and rotors and they certainly stop better than the stock pads. I occasionally chunk it through some mud and don't have any long standing rotor clogging issues. That is not the case with cross drilled rotors that have holes all the way through the rotors.

While there are tons of threads on this forum talking about how to make a heavy rig with big tires go, there are very few that talk about making them stop. For those who have beefed there JK up to a point of weighing over 5,000lbs that should be a concern. I wouldn't make a brake upgrade to address the issue, but I certainly wouldn't put stock stuff on when it was time to replace them.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

because i am going a 6in lift and want to put 38s on it
Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just wait a little.

Quick Reply: Brakes/rotor????????