Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brakes.... Going to upgrade to a 4 inch lift with 35 or 37 inch tires

Old 05-02-2012, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes.... Going to upgrade to a 4 inch lift with 35 or 37 inch tires

Upgrading to a 4 inch lift with 35 or 37 inch tires and curious what others have upgraded to for brakes. I think its something that is often over looked. Wondering who out there has upgraded and what you had for experiences
Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i don't know, i've run factory brakes with 37's and still do on our new dozer jk and feel they do just fine at stopping me.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are thinking of getting the teraflex big brake kit I agree with way of life.

For the cost you could do all four rotors and pads, twice.

Only plus are those awesome porsche looking calipers
Old 05-02-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Yea, and that is kinda my concern that i will overpay for a product. My theory is kind of bigger rims and tires (more weight) more force to stop. More concerned for it on those spots in the trail where i need to hold, or coming down from highway speeds.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MCavaco
Yea, and that is kinda my concern that i will overpay for a product. My theory is kind of bigger rims and tires (more weight) more force to stop. More concerned for it on those spots in the trail where i need to hold, or coming down from highway speeds.
the JK brakes aren't that bad. i would just install your lift and bigger tires and go from there. if you find that your braking is not up to snuff after the fact, start thinking about addressing it then. but, from my experience, factory brakes are good enough.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you, that sounds like good advice. I think I am just having flashbacks of my old cherokee that couldn't stop if it had a football field in front of it, And couldn't hold it is self on a rock in the trail if it was attached to a tow truck, I realize the rubicon is a whole different animal but I am just trying to address any of those issues before they arrive
Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the JK brakes are the same. I have an X and have been running 37's for almost a year and a half and have yet to have a problem with stoping the JK on or off road.

Quick Reply: Brakes.... Going to upgrade to a 4 inch lift with 35 or 37 inch tires