Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brakes with 35's

Old 03-16-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes with 35's

Not that I have had a problem yet, but I was wondering if any of you out there with 35's or larger tires have upgraded your brakes. I bet there are kits out there with larger slotted discs for all 4 corners and upgraded calipers. I figured if I was gonna be replacing pads this weekend I would go ahead and upgrade if it was really needed. I just don't want to break the bank...I'm sure you will all understand that one.
So....what are the opinions? Is it even worth it to upgrade the brakes? Will upgrading mess with the ABS/ESP? What are the street-legal upgrades?
Old 03-16-2011, 03:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Jeepswag has a few recommendation on their site for new pads. Or TeraFlex has a BigBrake kit you could look at.

Personally, I don't think the stock brackes are too bad with 35's. Certainly better than the stock brakes on my last dodge ram. Those things sucked with 35's.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I would get hawk pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Check out breakperformance.com for rotors. I have been looking everywhere and they seem to have the best deal. You can upgrade your front calipers with a ssbc kit. That for sure would break the bank as the run almost $900.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

900 bones???? Well I guess for peace of mind and safety's sake that isn't bad but is it really necessary? So far the OEM brakes aren't doing badly with the 35's. I haven't run into any problems stopping the thing yet. I just figured that there would be some pretty widely varied opinions on the subject. Personally, I wouldn't mind upgrading the brakes if it is needed, but if it ain't broke don't fix it...right?
Old 03-16-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepguy553
Not that I have had a problem yet, but I was wondering if any of you out there with 35's or larger tires have upgraded your brakes. I bet there are kits out there with larger slotted discs for all 4 corners and upgraded calipers. I figured if I was gonna be replacing pads this weekend I would go ahead and upgrade if it was really needed. I just don't want to break the bank...I'm sure you will all understand that one.
So....what are the opinions? Is it even worth it to upgrade the brakes? Will upgrading mess with the ABS/ESP? What are the street-legal upgrades?
been running 35s with no issues to the pads for 2 years now, i could think of other things id rather have for the jeep for the money than slotted/drilled rotors but thats just my opinion, i dont pull trailers and aint running it like a drag car either tho! its all in what your likes are my friend, what ever you decide im sure it will be a nice upgrade from stock tho.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running 35's and was suprised with breaking. I normally drive a new model dodge one ton diesel which has strong breaks butt the wifes JK breaks made me take notice on regular driving. I haven't had to lock them down yet so I couldn't comment on emergency breaking situations and their abilities. All that said when I go to 37's I will upgrade to a teraflex big brake setup!!

Quick Reply: Brakes with 35's