Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brakes!

Old 08-22-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say this for the stock brakes, they are better then nothing, had some j-ass try to head on me the other day in a passing situation, had to put the old brake petal to the floor doing 75ish and they slowed me right down in a 5000+ pound unlimited rubicon. when it was all said and done I could smell hot brakes but my pants were skid mark free.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Have been more of a lurker on this forum and haven't contributed a whole lot. Hope the group doesn't mind me asking a question....

Just drove my wife's 2010 JKUR and couldn't believe she hadn't mentioned the noise the brakes make. Based on the grinding noise, I'm fairly sure I'm going to need to replace pads and rotors. Her Jeep is a road warrior and doesn't see any offroad driving (except the caliche road upto the ranch house). No armor so don't need to consider anything crazy for brakes. I've always been an OEM type person but do stray occasionally. I'm looking for a straightforward install, don't want to mess with changing master cylinder, calipers, etc.... Is OEM in this case the best quality option or can someone provide suggestions otherwise? I know there are less expensive (and probably more expensive) options than OEM but just want quality direct replacement parts. The Jeep carries my most precious cargo (my wife and 2 kids) to and from school everyday so want to ensure the brakes work well without fail.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pads and rotors are super easy to change out.

If the pad material is gone and the rotors chewed just replace the rotors. There's not much extra material for turning anyway.

The rears go first on the jk.
OEM or equivalent. Nothing special needed.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And replace the old brake fluid, too!
Old 09-06-2014, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks! Any suggestions on where to get OEM (Mopar) brake pads and rotors? My experience is the dealer is pretty expensive.

Also, it's been awhile since I have replaced brakes. Is it necessary to have the rotors turned I enforce installing if I just go ahead and purchase new? Or do I just take out of the box and bolt up?

Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeeper John
Thanks! Any suggestions on where to get OEM (Mopar) brake pads and rotors? My experience is the dealer is pretty expensive. Also, it's been awhile since I have replaced brakes. Is it necessary to have the rotors turned I enforce installing if I just go ahead and purchase new? Or do I just take out of the box and bolt up? Thanks again.
Before I ...... Not "I enforce". Fat thumbs and autocorrect.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd suggest getting rotors and brake pads that are easily replaced, parts are easy to find, warranties are easy to execute if you need to.

First 4 corner replacement of Rotors and pads and brake fluid was at 80,000 miles back in 2011. I went to Mr Tire.

I'm done with aftermarket brake pads and fancy rotors and stainless steel brakelines because unless you got them from a local shop, if something goes wrong with them like they warp etc, trying to deal with warranties with somewhere you bought them online is a big pain in the azz.

Ditto on the rear brakes squealing first before the fronts....though only made the noise when backing up.

Last edited by Bug Stomper; 09-06-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Brakes!