Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brake upgrades

Old 10-04-2014, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The stock brakes on my '09 JKUR were horrible. I got the Teraflex BBK and master cylinder and have been very happy with the performance. Been on there for three years now. I adapted the rotors to my Spyntec hubs by having the center hole opened to 4", and using custom made backing plates for the wheel studs.

One of our club members managed to get all the parts necessary to upgrade her '08 JKUR to the factory export BR6 13" heavy duty rotors & calipers. Performance is outstanding. Part numbers are listed in a thread on JKO. Turns out most are used on other U.S. spec Chrysler
products.

Another less expensive option is Teraflex's Big Rotor kit, which retains the stock caliper but adds the BBK 13" rotors. Same effect as the BR6, uses larger rotors and an offset caliper bracket.

Would also mention to try any rotor / caliper upgrade with your stock master cylinder first before upgrading the M/C. Larger bore master may not be needed.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbaubry
Very interesting thread! Anyone knows if a DIY thread was posted for how to change your brakes?
WOW, that BBK has gotten pricey...

Here are some vids. .

| TeraFlex Suspensions
Old 10-05-2014, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

Default Brake upgrades

I just installed the factory BR6 brakes and they are outstanding!! Big difference in stopping power.... Didn't install the MC/BB under $400

Last edited by Silversurfer; 10-05-2014 at 04:19 AM. Reason: add more text
Old 10-05-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by red09
WOW, that BBK has gotten pricey... Here are some vids. . | TeraFlex Suspensions
At 950$ in parts with master cylinder. I'll stick to stock lol
Old 10-05-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was more than impressed with EBC on my Land Rover and will be going that route on my Jeep when they are due. Also ran EBC on my racing quad, utility quad and dirt bike. Always liked the performance and quality.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Silversurfer
I just installed the factory BR6 brakes and they are outstanding!! Big difference in stopping power.... Didn't install the MC/BB under $400

The Factory BR6 upgrade is looking more and more attractive

The Teraflex kit is very nice but it's $$$. I am waiting for their rear kit to come out and go from there. It's my understanding that Dynatrac is ready to release a kit as well.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have a part number for the BR6 brakes? Are these a factory jeep option? Thanks!!
Old 10-06-2014, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Challenger392
Anyone have a part number for the BR6 brakes? Are these a factory jeep option? Thanks!!
There are several part numbers.

You'll need;

Rotors
pads
left caliper
right caliper
brackets
pins.

I don't know if there's an actual list or if anyone is selling it as a package yet

Quick Reply: Brake upgrades