Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brake Upgrade?

Old 12-08-2020, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm going to go with new OEM style rotors & premium ceramic pads. After talking with my Jeep mechanic, this is what he recommends for what I use my JKU for, which is as a daily driver.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddout99
I'm going to go with new OEM style rotors & premium ceramic pads. After talking with my Jeep mechanic, this is what he recommends for what I use my JKU for, which is as a daily driver.
Out of curiosity, how much is that running you?
Old 12-08-2020, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Out of curiosity, how much is that running you?
I haven't got the final numbers yet, he's checking on parts prices. He texted me last night, that if he remembers right, the rotors were around $72, pads around $55 with all new hardware, whatever that means (I'll have to clarify) and for labor, it would be $75 per axle.

EDIT: To clarify, the rotor prices were for the front, each

Last edited by Reddout99; 12-08-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

That doesn't sound too bad. Just making sure you're not being killed with something unreasonable where upgrading to front TF rotors with new brake caliper brackets makes more sense and would be a decent upgrade, but at $315 for that and still needing new brake pads, probably makes less sense financially. Lot of people will gush about brake upgrades. IDK, I'm not a formula one driver and I thought the factory brakes with 35s wasn't unreasonable if you just drive sensibly. That said, you don't typically think about those things till you have a near miss.....or not miss.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, for my driving style and what it'll be used for, I would be happy with his setup.

It's funny, often times when posting about upgrading something lots of people chime in with, "you gotta get this or you gotta get that or you're wasting your money". I usually am understanding of the replies but IMO, it all depends on the end use for the item is. I always recommend this way of thinking for anyone that asks for my advice on upgrades
Brakes? For me I just need an OEM replacement rotor and upgraded pads, Lift? Although MC is considered one of the best and most capable setups, for me, since I'm using mine as a DD, something less expensive with less components works just fine.
Thanks for everyone's help with letting me think this simple change through.

Last edited by Reddout99; 12-08-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Mine is a daily with extra weight (35's and such)- the z36 are the perfect option for me. When I mention daily driver, I'm speaking of 20-30k miles/ year.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Mine is a daily with extra weight (35's and such)- the z36 are the perfect option for me. When I mention daily driver, I'm speaking of 20-30k miles/ year.
That is a lot of seat time! My DD mileage is probably under 10K/year, LOL
Old 12-08-2020, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

My mechanic called and asked me if I would be interested in high carbon rotors. I had never heard of them and didn't know anything about them so checked them out. Seem to be a better option as they can take higher temps, less chance of warping and are quieter. He's going to get me more info on them. Like brand, etc. so I can do more research if I want, he also said these are American made rotors. More info tomorrow.
He also suggested just doing the fronts for now, but will look at the rears while it's in the shop. If the rotors look good back there he said he could just put new premium ceramic pads in if I choose to & I could add the rotors at a later date
Old 12-08-2020, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I don't know that they're high carbon or what have you, but I've enjoyed my Raybestos 780518PER front rotors. They're not solid but they're not slotted and drilled either. I *feel* like they cool down quicker to give you a steady pedal even when you'd think they should be getting hot. They were a result of not wanting to go drilled and slotted but looking for a little pick up in performance where I knew I'd be pumping more heat into them- big tires, heavy wheels, and the occasional trailer at highway speeds on downhill slopes. They may be snake oil, but I think/ feel/ believe (all opinion words) they work better than factory without being agressive like a racing setup or requiring that level of heat to preform.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2015 JK with upgraded wheels and tires, I do tow pop-up trailer occasionally, do off road and is daily driven on highways. Recently I upgraded toPower Stop carbon ceramic brake pads, drilled and slotted rotors. There’s an immediate stopping power and less dusting. I would not recommend changing the brake pads only because it will warp your stock rotors. Check my reference, that's where I know about Power Stop brakes.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade?