Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brake Upgrade?

Old 12-05-2020, 05:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

I hear ya, but for me, I typically put new brake pads on without doing anything at all to the rotors, unless they are scored or warped. I changed many dozens of brakes in my life and this works well for me. I generally get 100k miles on a set of rotors without any maintenance to those rotors, assuming the pads were changed before and damage occurred. I then figure that the rotors made it to 100k, so it's time for new ones.
The following users liked this post:
Sixty4x4 (12-06-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I hear ya, but for me, I typically put new brake pads on without doing anything at all to the rotors, unless they are scored or warped. I changed many dozens of brakes in my life and this works well for me. I generally get 100k miles on a set of rotors without any maintenance to those rotors, assuming the pads were changed before and damage occurred. I then figure that the rotors made it to 100k, so it's time for new ones.
I agree with Rob on this one. I don't believe in turning rotors myself. Never had luck with that. When the rotors are in need of turning, that money is better spent towards new rotors. Assuming the rotors aren't an issue, I slap new pads on and keep on going. On other non-performance cars I've gotten to just buying cheaper rotors which I view as disposable. They are pretty much the same cost as having old rotors turned.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used the Powerstop z36 (pads & rotors, used stock calipers) on my 2 door with 37s and they've worked fine for me. No problems whatsoever, even heading down long steep mountains. Might be a good option for about $350
The following users liked this post:
SprkEng56 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Originally Posted by resharp001
I agree with Rob on this one. I don't believe in turning rotors myself. Never had luck with that. When the rotors are in need of turning, that money is better spent towards new rotors. Assuming the rotors aren't an issue, I slap new pads on and keep on going. On other non-performance cars I've gotten to just buying cheaper rotors which I view as disposable. They are pretty much the same cost as having old rotors turned.
What brake pads have you guys had luck with?
Old 12-06-2020, 05:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddout99
I recently put car quest wearever platinum ceramic on my 2014 jk. I'm happy with them. On my 2012 I used hawk LTS pads. They stopped amazingly well but produced copious amounts of dust. Ceramic is not supposed to produce so much dust. I've wondered if maybe someone swapped the pads in the box. The fronts were much more dusty than the rear, which doesn't make sense because the Jku brakes in the rear wear out faster than the front due to biasing.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddout99

I've used Akebono ceramics on previous rear jeep axle and on my other fleet of 5 cars (wife and kids) and have always had good luck with those, but I would always defer to others here with high mileage and long JK ownership history in regard to brakes as my build is far from stock + large tires.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Agree with Resharp and Rob - that is about turning rotors. When that is done you are removing metal that is supposed to absorb the heat produced whilst braking. Leads to brakes heating up a bit more (not my opinion this is science at work) and leading to brake issues faster.
Like Rob I just replace pads.
If there is shudder in the brakes throw the rotors and get new ones. Also something overlooked a lot is seized caliper floating pins or seized pistons in the caliper. Either of these two events also dictate throw away as well. Hope this helps someone doing or contemplating a brake job.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Agree with Resharp and Rob - that is about turning rotors. When that is done you are removing metal that is supposed to absorb the heat produced whilst braking. Leads to brakes heating up a bit more (not my opinion this is science at work) and leading to brake issues faster.
Like Rob I just replace pads.
If there is shudder in the brakes throw the rotors and get new ones. Also something overlooked a lot is seized caliper floating pins or seized pistons in the caliper. Either of these two events also dictate throw away as well. Hope this helps someone doing or contemplating a brake job.
Turning rotors only takes a few thousandths of an inch off the rotor, not a huge deal. If that little bit causes a heat issue then you would have a heat issue regardless. There’s nothing wrong with replacing rotors instead of turning them. I’ve done it if I bought a used vehicle with unknown rotors. But if I installed the rotors new and had a funky pad that caused a little damage, then I’ll turn it if I can.

Just my .02
Old 12-07-2020, 02:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the hawk Lts pads and they definitely bite well, but produce a ton of dust. Calipers are cheap I just picked up a rear one from autozone for 54 bucks.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I agree with you SV_Dude but what I should have said with bad warping or deep grooves the rotors are quite often taken down near minimum width which is what I was referring to. But also I turf them because they have had so many heat cycles in their life and the price is not bad for new rotors.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 12-08-2020 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade?