Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brake problems / HELP

Old 07-18-2022, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake problems / HELP

About two years ago I swapped my front rotors and pistons for the power stop slotted set on my 2012 2dr JK. A few months later I began to experience sticky brakes as the Jeep was pulling to one side and the brakes were extremely hot. I thought it was the calipers sticking and had them replaced by the company (power stop). Everything was good after that for another few months until it started doing it again. This time on the opposite side (passenger).

I’ve tried everything from regreasing slide pins, working on the calipers, and bleeding the brakes. But it still begins sticking again. In fact, every time I work on them it tends to stick on the opposite side.

The brake lines are good as I tested them. The calipers can be c-clamped back in and operate. I can’t seem to figure it out.

any suggestions or help would be appreciated, thanks!!??
Old 07-18-2022, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 409 Likes on 384 Posts

Welcome to JKF.. Good group here and willing to suggest possible solutions.. Any ABS indications? Before I started replacing a M/C I would replace the Brake Hoses.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Welcome to JKF.. Good group here and willing to suggest possible solutions.. Any ABS indications? Before I started replacing a M/C I would replace the Brake Hoses.
Thank you! No abs or any lights. The brake lines are new braided hoses, so I don’t believe that should be the case.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running into a very similar situation on my 2015 Jeep Willys unlimited. Replaced rotors "power stop slotted and pads" new calipers "from advance auto remanufactured all i can get around me" brake lines as well. Fine for about 2 weeks of driving and now my left front gridning / sticking when getting down below 10mph it grabs and halts my vehicle. The strange issue is that when I let off the clutch a bit to start rolling forward there is no stick or pop that the pad brakes free from the rotor. But then why the grinding like something is stuck chewing the rotor up on the back side.

Im at my wits end really with this issue. Im going to pull the tire this weekend for the 5th time and recheck everything and re bleed again. I'll let you know what i find out!
Old 10-21-2022, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Dump the powerstop stuff and get JL brakes. Way better and they're larger.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Sounds like binding calipers. OP is saying he can c-clamp back in and they work. Have you jacked Jeep up, taken wheel off and turned the disc? If so and they are binding it sounds like shitty quality calipers. How hot is the wheel/disc that is giving the problems immediately after stopping?

Quick Reply: Brake problems / HELP