Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brake Problems

Old 02-14-2020, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Brake Problems

Hey All, been around for a while but don't really post because most of my questions get answered from searches, but I cant find anything similar to this.

Anyway, Being short on time I took my JKU to the dealership for an oil change and spark plugs. My did went to pick it up for me since i work dealership hours.. When he got in it the ETC light was briefly flashing but went away and the BRAKE light was on and he said the brake pedal felt firm but did not seem to be stopping the vehicle. He went back in and they told him they didn't do any diag before and that they didn't have time to do it last night. so he limped it to their place. When I got there i took it for a drive around the block. Brake pedal seems stiff and brakes do not seems to be engaging but then all of a sudden the pedal drops to the floor with a grinding feeling almost like the ABS and the brakes engage but not with full force.

A little background. I do have a left rear wheel speed sensor that needs to be replaced. So i have been driving without abs, cruise, etc. I just haven't had time to replace it yet and could live without those items for the time being. Not sure if it could be related. I have checked brake fluid level and checked for pinched lines and made sure everything that I could see was plugged back in under the hood.

Also- I am not blaming the dealer because I find it hard to believe that they could have messed something up with the work that was done. As a former service writer i know that coincidences happen. I am just looking for suggestions on where to start.

Sorry for the long winded post.. and thanks in advance!
Old 02-14-2020, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds like a faulty ABS control
Old 02-14-2020, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

hmm... I'll look into it. hopefully not.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:51 AM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

I don't think the work the dealer did would directly impact the brakes but since it just started at that point I would look for a wire or plug (etc.) that got pulled out, broken are damaged in some way. Doing the spark plugs on that engine is more work than most. I always look at what most recently was done in situations like this. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
jdinny (02-15-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

Appreciate the reply.
yeah i worked in service for 7.5 years so I am not blaming them by any means. More so just seeing if anyone has ran into this in the past. It was like -10 here when I had a chance to look at it so I didn't get to check every wire.. I'm hoping that is all that it is. I was out of town for the weekend so the search picks back up now..
Old 02-18-2020, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

Conclusion for those who replied! Thanks for the input! The dealership left a vacuum hose disconnected and I couldn’t see it till it got it in day light.
The following users liked this post:
Mr.T (02-18-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 11:28 AM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

Glad to hear it was so simple!

Quick Reply: Brake Problems