Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brake Pad Suggestion from Local Shop

Old 06-12-2014, 07:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Hmm. that looks interesting. I see they aren't tapered at the ends. The purpose of that taper is to help prevent brake squeal. In general, cheaper pads don't have it. More expensive pads have it. Have you experienced brake squeal with these pads?
Only had them on 2 weeks now and no squeal ... Hopefully it stays that way lol .... Do you think by now because of the design I should have squealing already? Just curious... Thx
Old 06-12-2014, 10:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will probably be fine. The various composite pads will mostly have varying effect on the rotors and not on the actual ability to stop. Where you'll notice the difference in pads' ability to stop you is on a race track. There are some exceptions to that rule but whether ordered from a 4x4 store or a local parts store they are usually the same thing. Only difference is you'll find some things not normally carried by parts stores (my experience with parts stores is they don't carry anything but stock parts for Jeeps and sometimes not even that).
Old 06-13-2014, 01:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Only had them on 2 weeks now and no squeal ... Hopefully it stays that way lol .... Do you think by now because of the design I should have squealing already? Just curious... Thx
You'll probably be fine. There are a number of things that contribute to that squealing. That lack of a taper is one of them.

Of course, I say that and the pads I have on the fronts, which do have the taper, did not squeal when I first put them on. But now they squeal--which started while descending Shafer Switchbacks in Canyonlands. I took them apart and put the paste on the pads again, which stopped the squeal. But they started again after another off-road trip. Not very please with this. They were the most expensive pads that O'Reilly's had ($60), and they replaced a set of the cheapest ones that O'Reilly had that didn't have the taper and started squealing from day one, paste or no.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok thanks you guys..... The shop who installed(friend of mine) said its warrantied even for squealing/noises etc and he's had the best luck with these(he drives a lifted jeep too) so hopefully it works out.... This "new" technology lol
Old 06-13-2014, 06:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some Posi-Quiet semi-metalic pads and Centric rotors. Total with shipping on Amazon was a touch over $120, and they seem to be a very good combo. The pads came with new clips and rubber boots for the slider pins, and with everything greased up and put back together they work well and are quiet.

I did get some expensive ceramic grease from Napa because many people have said it hold up better to the elements and doesn't wash off as easilly. We will see how it works out.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Suggestion from Local Shop