Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brake Light

Old 01-10-2008, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Brake Light

What do I need to do with the two wires from the rear middle brake light since I installed a new bumper and tire carrier. Do I need to hook them up to something? All those who have installed new carriers have done something with them, no? Thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 05:42 AM
SCF
JK Enthusiast

Get a brake light relocation kit before you get pulled over.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCF
Get a brake light relocation kit before you get pulled over.
x2. Don't want a ticket for missing that light...
Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 AM
SCF
JK Enthusiast

In case others are wondering as well:

http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail....PLATELITE-PLUG
Old 01-10-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can always add a third brake light yourself. I picked up a red "Clearance Light" at Pep Boys for $2.99, mounted it to the tire carrier plate on the swingaway, and wired it in using the stock wires (with an extension added to them).

In case you are interested, I opened up the wiring covers on the inside of the tailgate, cut the stock wires from the Mopar connector, and pulled them out all the way to where they come out of the side behind the subwoofer. You will have to remove quite a bit of electrical tape that is wrapped around the stock wiring. I then re-routed them under the carpet, through the drainhole in the bottom of the storage cubby, under the Jeep, and up through the gap between the bumper and the body. I installed quick disconnects in the wires in the storage cubby in case I ever need to remove the swingaway, so that I can do so without having to cut wires. Then they go up the swingaway arm to the taillight. Works great! And, as others have noted, doing this will save you a possible ticket.

Last edited by Paul R; 01-10-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Light