Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

brake caliper loose

Old 01-07-2010, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake caliper loose

Has anyone had any problems with brake calipers comming loose. One of my front ones came loose and locked my wheel up on my last jeep. Now on my new jeep the back one came loose so when you hit the brake it clanks as it goes up.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this problem with my tj a few times, and I'm sure it could happen with the jk too, I don't think its a problem with the calipers, but rather with the jeep being driven in rough terrain. dirt roads can make anything loose.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

guess I just need to keep them cked more often. Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try blue locktight on them, no probs on any vehicles I put that on. In fact, from the factory, mine looked like thats what was on them.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2 on blue loctite
Old 01-07-2010, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

X3 on blue loctite
Old 01-07-2010, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

In the aviation world we lockwire every thing that could come loose that we don't want it to. Most of out bolts are made this way but some times they are not. So we drill the head of the bolt thru a flat at an angle to the one beside of it or right thru the middle( harder), then put wire thru it, twist it to the next bolt and put it thru it and volia it's lock wired. Do it all in a tightening fashion and they will never come loose. Takes time but it workes good. Plus you can check that it is still tight just by looking at it. If the lockwire is still there it should be good. Even if you do it wrong it can only loosen off so much befor the wire stops it. And if you really mess it up at least the bolt will still be there hangng off the wire.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tightness will do it, every vehicle comes with locktite on them. However i've yet to put locktite back on and have done probably 800 brake jobs lol
Old 01-07-2010, 02:42 PM
JK Junkie

Never installed loctite. Never used a torque wrench on them. The good 'ol grunt works as a torque wrench. Unless you're torquing delicate items (gearing, clutches, etc), use the grunt method.

Quick Reply: brake caliper loose