Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brake Bleeding Problems

Old 02-02-2010, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Bleeding Problems

I installed my Crown lines today and bled all 4 lines (starting with rear pass. working closer to the MC). With NO air coming out i figured that they were good. Got in for a test drive, FLOORED the pedal. Got out, checked MC fluid level (a little low but not below "MIN" mark), add fluid, RE-bled the lines, get in, SAME CRAP! Get out one more time, add fluid, RE-bled the lines AGAIN (still NO AIR), back in, FLOORED the pedal once again....

What the hell is going on with this? I've been changing brake lines on Jeeps, and bled brakes on numerous different cars for years now with no issues.

Any ideas?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how are you bleeding the brakes? two people, one person, gravity, pressure, etc
Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
how are you bleeding the brakes? two people, one person, gravity, pressure, etc
2 people, hose connected to bleed valve, hose into brake fluid bottle half way filled. Good old: pump pedal, open close valve.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:02 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezertjeepin
I installed my Crown lines today and bled all 4 lines (starting with rear pass. working closer to the MC). With NO air coming out i figured that they were good. Got in for a test drive, FLOORED the pedal. Got out, checked MC fluid level (a little low but not below "MIN" mark), add fluid, RE-bled the lines, get in, SAME CRAP! Get out one more time, add fluid, RE-bled the lines AGAIN (still NO AIR), back in, FLOORED the pedal once again....

What the hell is going on with this? I've been changing brake lines on Jeeps, and bled brakes on numerous different cars for years now with no issues.

Any ideas?
if you're pedal is going to the floor, you've got air in the lines somewhere. did you make sure to not let your MC go dry? if it went dry, you'll need to bleed it.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if you're pedal is going to the floor, you've got air in the lines somewhere. did you make sure to not let your MC go dry? if it went dry, you'll need to bleed it.
No i kept it at LEAST to the "MIN" line so i know that it didnt suck in air from the top.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i don't man. i don't know how you could bleed the lines and there not be any air and if you're hitting the floor with the pedal, there's clearly air somewhere. you may need to have it power bled. the dealership uses a scan tool to electronically bleed each brake and sometimes, this is necessary to fix problems.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Are you sure the person on the pedal is not releasing the pedal until you close the valve?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Are you sure the person on the pedal is not releasing the pedal until you close the valve?
I know he's not releasing because i can hear the pedal depressing and holding when i release the fluid and tighten up the bleed valve. Plus with the hose connected to the bleed valve it wont be able to suck air back in, if he releases it will just suck the fluid back in. I think ill just have to do the scan tool thing :(

LAME!!!!

Quick Reply: Brake Bleeding Problems