Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brain Overload on 3" lift choices

Old 09-24-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brain Overload on 3" lift choices

Hello guys/ girls. I'm going to be pulling the trigger on an 09 Unlimited Rubi next month. Since I can't leave anything stock...esp. after reviewing a couple hundred suspension and show and tell threads here., I am searching for my mods now. I want to be able to have MOnster Garage when this Jeep comes home.

So my purpose for this Jeep is a DD and needs to handle great at Highway speeds. I will wheel on some tough trails here in CO and Moab. ...my second home. But mostly this Jeep will be the weekend warrior...not a dedicated trailer queen for hardcore trails only.

I want to go 3" to 3.5" and run 35's. I can;t decide on what options to get on what lift. I want to do this the proper way now, so I'm not upgarding due to breakeage on the trails. Do I need to do drive shafts with this height?

I have viewed a ton of FT posts and saw some good and bad comments, but this seams like a great lift overall. I am also looking at the mid arm Rock Krawler lift. hmmmm, which one to get. My brain is overloaded!!!!

If you are running either of these kits, what upgrades, options do you recomend? FWIW, I will be swaping out bumpers and adding a winch to the front end...so I'm sure I'll need some additional spacer(s) to compensate for the extra weight.

Budget is a concern here as well. I have one!!!! I'm looking at about 4K for suspension and 5 tires. I plan to reuse the stock rims for now with spacers...unless you think it's a bad idea.

Tire will be 35 12.50 17 BFG MT's...AT's for winter but I already have the AT's in the shed. I ahve had Toyos and Procomps in the past. Great tires as well....I just happen to get a deal on the BFG's.

Also, I hope there is no welding involved as I would like to tackle this job on my own. I figure if I can put this kit on, I'll learn more about the JEEP..in the event something breaks, I won;t be standing there trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

BTW- I plan to use one of our site sponsors for the purchase. Who did you buy from? Thanks again.

In case youa re wondering about TAIL RATED... I have two labs that go everywhere with me. It's really going to be there JEEP>
Old 09-24-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you have a four door with two labs...

My two door isnt big enough with 3 huskys...

Both lifts are a good choice. Both are complete lifts and very easy to install on your own. I'm guessing your going short arm, No welding will be needed.

WOL has a great write up on the FT ultimate. You can easily use it for a baseline on the Clayton lift as well. I love my FT lift. I have no doubt the clayton would be a great kit as well.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:12 AM
JK Freak

I just heard about ZONE Offroad (BDS). 3" kit sells for $439.
Getting cheaper... maybe I'll get that instead of a 2.5" BB.

Last edited by ZoSo-Green; 09-25-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default lift

I have zone 2 in bb now and I just ordered the 3 inch zone kit yesterday. Made by BDS who is a reputable company, I'm trying it.......
Old 09-25-2008, 05:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Teraflex

One word for ya: TERAFLEX

Why? They offer the most complete sets out there and their customer service is in a league of their own.

Now with your budget you can get a set of 5 Cooper STT's a little over a grand($1,100.00) approx. That leaves with almost 3G's to spare for the lift.

For you Teraflex has the 3" and the 4". The 3" is actually more like 4.25" so when you put on your bumpers and winch you will have a real 3" lift approx.(another advantage from Tera) Now the 4" lift that Sonic mentioned is more complete and you won't need anything else. Here you will definitly need driveshafts(a set of 1350)

WOW This is getting expensive right Therefore, go 3" and add the front HD adj trackbar(also from Teraflex) and a full set of control arms so you can dial in your ride(pinion angle, caster) so your JK will ride smooth on the pavement. Driveshafts will be your next priority, so they should be next on your list (very soon, don't wait too long)and you also might want to regear later as well.

Check this thread about driveshafts: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/new-driveshafts-when-53707/

With all of this you should be with in your budget(minus the driveshafts)

Hope this helps, good luck and have fun

Last edited by jayrav; 09-25-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Read this sticky

Almost forgot...READ THIS STICKY:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/modified-tech-faq-answers-questions-every-newbie-has-18617/
Old 09-25-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

by all the different answers you're getting, I can see yourself even more confuse try for your brain not to explode, good thing you're only asking for a 3 inch lift. is not that complicated.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jayrav
Both links provided me with some additional info I needed. Thnx. Driveshafts are now on that list as well as 488's.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

TERAFLEX,really nice springs,nice spring rate rides excellent,almost a year now on my 3"kit,no sag,has held up really well,works great on road and off
and excellent product support
Old 09-25-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jayrav
One word for ya: TERAFLEX

Why? They offer the most complete sets out there and their customer service is in a league of their own.

Now with your budget you can get a set of 5 Cooper STT's a little over a grand($1,100.00) approx. That leaves with almost 3G's to spare for the lift.

For you Teraflex has the 3" and the 4". The 3" is actually more like 4.25" so when you put on your bumpers and winch you will have a real 3" lift approx.(another advantage from Tera) Now the 4" lift that Sonic mentioned is more complete and you won't need anything else. Here you will definitly need driveshafts(a set of 1350)

WOW This is getting expensive right Therefore, go 3" and add the front HD adj trackbar(also from Teraflex) and a full set of control arms so you can dial in your ride(pinion angle, caster) so your JK will ride smooth on the pavement. Driveshafts will be your next priority, so they should be next on your list (very soon, don't wait too long)and you also might want to regear later as well.

Check this thread about driveshafts: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53707

With all of this you should be with in your budget(minus the driveshafts)

Hope this helps, good luck and have fun
X1000 on this I have this lift and I AM SO FREAKING HAPPY WITH IT!

We drove the Rubicon 10 hours from Boise to Moab with this lift and stock wheels and tires we walked through Poison Spyder with not one issue! Now we have 35" on it and WOW I can't wait to go back to Moab! The best thing is I can buy only what I need to upgrade to a long arm or go higher with out having to by anything that I don't need. THAT ROCKS!

Most Importantly TERAFLEX's customer support is .....Well it's the best customer support I have EVER seen......period!

Oh and one last thing A Teraflex 3 inch kit = a true 4.25 inches! That's wicked!

Last edited by whpony96; 09-25-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Brain Overload on 3" lift choices