Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bov on ripp supercharger stopped working again!!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck
My BOV was working fine but lately seems to blow off right before my gear change around 5,000rpm. I loose my boost right before she changes gears.
My Vortech was doing exactly the same thing at 5000 RPM, but I contacted someone very familiar with SC'd JKs and was told that that was a safety feature to ensure the engine isn't over-boosted as it approaches red-line. Maybe prior to switching back to the Vortech, I'll go take a spin to see what happens with the Kayser diverter at that RPM level.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

I have used the plastic Vortech and the $40 Bosch from 6-15psi on an FBody in Tennessee, with headers! I never had any problems until the Vortech unit failed, it was 10 years old. I'm surprised you're having issues, I'd thought along RIPP's lines and wondered if you had a vacuum line plumbed right off the intake?
Old 08-16-2012, 06:55 PM
JK Junkie

Ok - just got back from a little road excursion and no issue at all boosting past 5k RPM with the Kayser diverter. Reached 9 psi of boost before getting close to 6k RPM. Will re-test with the Vortech BOV later this week.

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
. . . wondered if you had a vacuum line plumbed right off the intake?
BOV is plumbed off of the vacuum line leading to the Evap valve just behind the throttle body.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Junkie

I just found one for $160. Does that seem fair? Free shipping. I'm thinking about trying this out. My BOV was working fine but lately seems to blow off right before my gear change around 5,000rpm. I loose my boost right before she changes gears.
Chuck, did you buy the Turbosmart BOV dual port 25mm that Red mentioned? If so, did that help your boost issues?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Chuck, did you buy the Turbosmart BOV dual port 25mm that Red mentioned? If so, did that help your boost issues?
I did buy the Turbosmart bOV but I have a problem. Seems Ripp must have changed the intercooler piping. REDJEEPJK has a different BOV mounting setup. Mine and probably yours has a two bolt flange where you secure the BOV. His has a round hose neck type mount. The Turbosmart BOV requires a round hose neck attaching point. I either need to find an adapter that will convert my two bolt flange to a round hose neck or replace the intercooler piping. I have not figured out how I want to approach this.

If you go back to page 4 of this thread you will see how his BOV attaches. I did not notice that when the discussuion began.

Last edited by SergeantChuck; 09-11-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Junkie

I did buy the Turbosmart bOV but I have a problem. Seems Ripp must have changed the intercooler piping. REDJEEPJK has a different BOV mounting setup. Mine and probably yours has a two bolt flange where you secure the BOV. His has a round hose neck type mount. The Turbosmart BOV requires a round hose neck attaching point. I either need to find an adapter that will convert my two bolt flange to a round hose neck or replace the intercooler piping. I have not figured out how I want to approach this.

If you go back to page 4 of this thread you will see how his BOV attaches. I did not notice that when the discussuion began.
Yup, I have an adapter from RIPP that sounds exactly like what you need.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

You got a part number on that or will Ripp know what I'm talking about
Old 09-11-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Vortec Maxflow® Racing Bypass/Blow-off Valve that originally came with the RIPP kit.

[/QUOTE]

When you removed the original Blow-off valve and hose, what did you use to plug the port (hole) on the supercharger where the hose connected to it?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

When you removed the original Blow-off valve and hose, what did you use to plug the port (hole) on the supercharger where the hose connected to it?
Good question!!! REEDJEEKJK or JK-Rubi, Can you answer that for us? Thanks
Old 09-11-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dasbus
Good question!!! REEDJEEKJK or JK-Rubi, Can you answer that for us? Thanks
Small plastic plug. RIPP will know what you want, and if they don't sell this stuff anymore, should at least be able to point you in the right direction. I'd bet we're not the first persons wanting to ditch the Vortech BOV for something that actually works.

Quick Reply: Bov on ripp supercharger stopped working again!!!!