Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bought my Jeep with a winch on it but....

Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bought my Jeep with a winch on it but....

Background:
As the title states i bought my jeep with a bumper and winch already mounted. I have never owned a vehicle with a winch before, have never used one. The previous owner decided to keep the remote for some reason Anyway, after getting the wrong part # number from westin, ordering and returning, getting correct part # and ordering again, I finally am able to use my winch.

Problem:
I hook up my remote yesterday, the clutch is already in the "out" position, and i pull some line out. Then i want to pull it in so i go to engage the clutch to the "in" position and the lever wont move I feel like i shouldnt have to slam it back, I dont want to break something by using excessive force. Am i missing something simple here? The clutch lever just doesnt seem to move. I dunno what to do and I dont want to try pulling myself out of something with the clutch engaged the wrong way.
Please throw out some suggestions or tell me im a stupid noob and it doesnt matter. I just dont wanna burn up the clutch. Thanks,
-Dave
Old 02-26-2012, 06:36 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

try pulling a bit more line and then lock it back into engage. the gears are probably just off a tad.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
try pulling a bit more line and then lock it back into engage. the gears are probably just off a tad.
what do you mean by lock it back to engage?

Are you saying that i should be able to smack it into the "in" position because pulling more line out might help align the gears?

Thanks for the quick response. If this is all i need to do ill go try it out now and report back
Old 02-26-2012, 06:45 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by RodRecket
what do you mean by lock it back to engage?

Are you saying that i should be able to smack it into the "in" position because pulling more line out might help align the gears?

Thanks for the quick response. If this is all i need to do ill go try it out now and report back
yes, the "in" position and yes, i'd be willing to bet that's all you need to do.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
yes, the "in" position and yes, i'd be willing to bet that's all you need to do.
Great, thanks. Gonna head out and try it. Will report back

....love this forum
Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

pulled the line almost all the way out and....it worked! I dove off the road a little bit and tested my new winch kit and the winch out. Worked great, im very pleased with my jeep all over again.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

pulled the line almost all the way out and....it worked! I dove off the road a little bit and tested my new winch kit and the winch out. Worked great, im very pleased with my jeep all over again.
Awesome. Remember to leave at least 5 wraps of the line around the drum
Old 02-26-2012, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

I left the last row or wrap of line on the drum. Thats good to know though, thanks.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

glad to hear it worked out
Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I left the last row or wrap of line on the drum. Thats good to know though, thanks.
Also you need to know that, in order to get full power pull from your winch, you need to unspool some cable, because the most power comes on the last few wraps, not a full drum. For that reason I do carry a snatch block (fleabay = $ 30.00). As a side benefit it doubles your winch's capacity.Happy winching!

Last edited by eumel789; 02-27-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Bought my Jeep with a winch on it but....