Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

To boot or not to boot...

Old 07-16-2010, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To boot or not to boot...

... that is the question.

I installed the dust boots on my new Rancho RS9000XL shocks. I see from many pics that a lot of folks leave off the boots.

Here in Florida we don't get into dusty conditions very often but mud and water crossings are the norm. In those conditions do the boots trap and hold contaminates or protect the shock shafts and seals?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Converted
... that is the question.

I installed the dust boots on my new Rancho RS9000XL shocks. I see from many pics that a lot of folks leave off the boots.

Here in Florida we don't get into dusty conditions very often but mud and water crossings are the norm. In those conditions do the boots trap and hold contaminates or protect the shock shafts and seals?
Don't boot. I do lots of water and mud wheeling also and the boots just trap shit in there. Plus boots look 80's LOL
Old 07-16-2010, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

don't boot
Old 07-16-2010, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think you should get the boot it always serves as protection, if you think that water will get trapped in it then get a hole puncher and pop a couple of holes in the bottom where no one will see it and it will let the water out, which I think the boots already com with the weep holes already punched out. Just my.02 Good luck and post some pics.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all for booty, but IMO say no to boots. in the NE they just trap all kinds of road salt and screw up the seals. I had the boots on my old F150 and the shafts on the shocks when i changed them out where all corroded and rough, which i am sure is what destroyed the seals.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

I am installing my Ranch SPort Lift next weekend with the RS9000XL shocks ... after much Google Searching I have decided NO BOOTS.

I installed a boot on a HD SS I put on my JK about 2 months ago. After researching the boot issue ... I went out and cut the boot off. Sure enough after only 2 offroad excursions it was full of sand and damp dirt .....

I like the Factory Shocks Self cleaning hard plastic boot. SOmebody should design these for aftermarket shocks. It protects the shaft from rocks and flying debris but nothing gets trapped.

Last edited by dmhines; 07-16-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shocks just retain mud,water,grit & grime and promote rust and can lead to seal failure. Plus overtime they start to look pretty crappy.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

I say no boot, after 1 good trip out in the Florida mud the little drain holes will be clogged up and they'll hold everything in. I lived there for 7 years, and after 1 year of mud wheeling I had to get new shocks due to all of the rust on my shock pistons. I'll never put boots on my shocks again.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO BOOTS - Booty, very different story...
Old 07-16-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks all!

Quick Reply: To boot or not to boot...