Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Body roll after lift

Old 11-25-2011, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body roll after lift

Installed a 2" OME HD coils and shocks. Really love the ride and look. The only thing I'm not crazy about is there seems to be a lot of body roll now just driving down the road. Anything I can do to help with this?
Old 11-25-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

Can you supply a little more detail on how your JK is handling? Does your steering feel more flighty? Do you need to turn more to set the outside front tire? Do your front tires feel like their plowing through a turn or does the rear end feel like it's sliding?

There's a couple thing to address the issue, just want to make sure it's at the right end.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JPop
Can you supply a little more detail on how your JK is handling? Does your steering feel more flighty? Do you need to turn more to set the outside front tire? Do your front tires feel like their plowing through a turn or does the rear end feel like it's sliding?

There's a couple thing to address the issue, just want to make sure it's at the right end.
The front end does feel flighty. I was told to loosen all the control arms, jump up and down on the jeep and retighten. I haven't tried that yet but have noticed recently that there is a lot of roll to the body. It does seem like I am having to turn more to set the outside tire, but no plowing through snow or rear end sliding. I was driving down a country road today with lots of dips and turns and felt like I was riding in a boat with all the swaying around. Hope this clears it up a little more.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Junkie

OK, understeer and having to turn harder to set the outside front tire.

Here's a couple easy and free things to try to see if they get you headed the right direction.

Slightly raise front tire pressure and/or lower rear tire pressure.

Make sure rear sway bar bushings are in good shape and the retainers are tight.

If you have adjustable front lower control arms, increase positive caster.

While this doesn't seem to directly effect body roll, the body roll is really a symptom of having to turn harder to set the front tire. Start with air pressure first to see if you can make some improvements, and only do one step at a time so you can take note of how the vehicle responds.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you install new front Sway Bar links with the lift? This could cause some sway if not a lot. Seems to me you should be more stable with a wider stance and bigger tires. We are only talking 2 inches here.

Last edited by Paws; 11-25-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

The OME lift rides a lot smoother/softer than stock and yields about 3 to 3.5 inches of lift. The flighty steering can be corrected with adjustable control arms and you might also check the toe. Here is a little info about aligning the front end.

Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment
Old 11-25-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
The OME lift rides a lot smoother/softer than stock and yields about 3 to 3.5 inches of lift. The flighty steering can be corrected with adjustable control arms and you might also check the toe. Here is a little info about aligning the front end.

Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment
Wow - crazy how much lift you get with that lift. Great link as Ive used it many times.

Cheers
Old 11-25-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah I hate to ask, but did you remember to reinstall some sway bar links? I didn't notice any boat like rolling after installing my OME kit. it's pretty flighty on the highway, but otherwise no issues with ride
Old 11-26-2011, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 1st timer
Installed a 2" OME HD coils and shocks. Really love the ride and look. The only thing I'm not crazy about is there seems to be a lot of body roll now just driving down the road. Anything I can do to help with this?
With OME Springs you installed ? the HD ?
Old 11-26-2011, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Yes. HD springs

Quick Reply: Body roll after lift