Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Body Lift Vs. Leveling Kit?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Lift Vs. Leveling Kit?

First of all I'm new to the forum so i'd like to say hello and that i really like what some of y'all have done to your jk's!!

Now my question is: what exactly is the difference between body lift's and leveling kits, and what are some of the pros/cons to using them? I just recently purchased my first jeep (2010 stone white sport LOVE IT) and am looking to put 33xwideasicanx16's on it, and would like to have a little boost in ride height as well, but would also like to ensure that it could be easily reverted back to stock for warranty work after reading some of the horror stories about chryslers view on modified jeeps
Old 01-14-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

I have the TF levling kit and love it...looks good with 33s IMO...a body lift will not level it out...I'm gonna add a BL when i move up to 35s....hope that helps...
Old 01-14-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

welcome to the forum. IMO the leveling kit is the way to go. tons of people on this forum run them and many are very happy with them. I personally do not trust body lifts. Another option you can do if budget allows for it is a teraflex 2.5" coil lift.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A BB is a suspension lift. You pull everything apart and slip a small spacer on top of your coils, then put everything back together. This lifts the frame/undercarriage/body/etc, everything but the axles.

A BL puts spacers between the frame and the body. This lifts the body up, but leave the frame/undercarriage/etc down where they started.

Both will allow more wheel well clearance for the use of taller tires.

As you lift higher with the suspension (BB or coil lifts), you start running into issues with the driveline and steering. At 2", you can get by with no added components.

As you lift higher with a BL, the gap between the body and frame becomes more noticeable. (most people will have something negative to say about the 'look'). Manual transmissions may have issues with the shifter. The rear bumper may need to be raised. etc

Make sure you read through the FAQ's to get a handle on the backspacing you will want for the new rims.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

great info!

Originally Posted by Coondog33
I have the TF levling kit and love it...looks good with 33s IMO...a body lift will not level it out...I'm gonna add a BL when i move up to 35s....hope that helps...
got any pics of your setup? i'm leaning more towards the leveling kit because it will allow me to run the bigger tires without as much of the awkward look that a body lift brings lol
Old 01-14-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to the forum!

A good place to start (and has specific answers to those questions you asked) is right here:

Answers to the Questions Every Newbie Has

Oh, and by the way - I'm running a Teraflex Leveling Kit and its great! I've got it with 33.5x11.5x17 tires at the moment.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
Welcome to the forum!

A good place to start (and has specific answers to those questions you asked) is right here:

Answers to the Questions Every Newbie Has

Oh, and by the way - I'm running a Teraflex Leveling Kit and its great! I've got it with 33.5x11.5x17 tires at the moment.

sweet that ride height/stance is definitely what i'm looking for
Old 01-14-2011, 12:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JEEPSKI
sweet that ride height/stance is definitely what i'm looking for
Thanks. The tires are Toyo Open Country MT - 295/70/17's. Tough as nails too!
Old 01-14-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A cheaper option is just to chop your flares. Get wheels with the correct backspace, and you can run 35's with no lift...
Old 01-14-2011, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
A cheaper option is just to chop your flares. Get wheels with the correct backspace, and you can run 35's with no lift...
any idea what kind of backspacing you would need for that? sounds crazy but I am new to jeeps

Quick Reply: Body Lift Vs. Leveling Kit?