Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Body lift or suspension lift?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body lift or suspension lift?

I need tires asap, but I want bigger tires so I need to lift my jeep. The cheapest lift kit I found was $900 after installation. Is getting a body lift another way of getting bigger tires to fit under my jeep?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Probably average about once a month. No legal spots to go where I live so it's a bit of a drive to get to a park.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeps_187
I need tires asap, but I want bigger tires so I need to lift my jeep. The cheapest lift kit I found was $900 after installation. Is getting a body lift another way of getting bigger tires to fit under my jeep?
How big of tires are you wanting to run?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

I would personally recommend coil lift or at least ad spacers to the existing coils. TF makes a spacer kit with shock ext and everything. IMO body lift is a waste of time and money
Old 09-02-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, is that your Jurrassic park YJ in your avatar??? I'd like to see some more pics of that thing its awesome!!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeps_187
Have you considered installing yourself? There are some good how-to's to read through to get you pointed in the right direction. (write-ups area. Click on the Index at the top).

And if you don't want to tackle it all by yourself, throw a post in the Staging Area for your neck of the woods. You just might find someone that would be willing to lend a hand, and odds are they probably even have any tools you don't. Getting to know your local wheelers, and learning to work on your rig, can't beat it. And be sure to offer up food and drink, that is always appreciated.

But to your question - yes, a body lift will give more clearance to fit larger tires. But i wouldn't go higher than a 1-1.25" BL. Too much gap.

Another option until you get around to a suspension lift would be to just chop your flares.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

It all depends on tire size I think. 33s try them first with no lift and see what you think. If you want more clearance then a leveling kit would be very cheap and extremely easy to install just basic hand tools and some jack stands. If you want to go 35s then throw in some flat fenders. I would steer clear of a bony lift unless you have to I think they don't look that great and imo harder to install.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Body lift very easy to install, low cost.
Retain oem ride quality.
No drivshaft issues.
No alignment issues.
May require notching body for shifter to get into all gears for manual tranny.

New coils harder to install, higher cost.
Ride quality may suffer slightly, some are actually better.
Depending on how much lift may need new driveshafts.
Will need to realign.
Will give you more flex, equals more traction.

Each has some good points and some bad point. Just do what you can afford at the moment and get out there and have some fun.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

I have 35's no lift and flat fenders. I wheel about once a month only problem I ever had was rubbing the pinch seams every now and then and you can cut those no problem. Just one more option to think of.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Freak

But to answer the OP, Get a suspension lift.

Quick Reply: Body lift or suspension lift?