Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Body lift pros n cons

Old 02-14-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body lift pros n cons

I was thinking of installing a body lift about an 1".

What are some of the good and bads?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:28 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

pros: super easy to install, effectively gives you more tire clearance for cheap and, because it will not change your suspension, it will not effect your ride.

cons: you will not get any additional ground clearance other than what you might get out of bigger tires, you will not gain any suspension travel, it leaves an unsightly gap between your frame rails and tub, if you have a 6-speed it will effect your ability to shift
Old 02-14-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife

if you have a 6-speed it will effect your ability to shift
I know a lot of us are not for body lifts, but for the manual, it should come with or be able to purchase a shifter extension, at least that's how it was for a truck I had years ago.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

The rough country kit has a shifter extension. I just installed the 1.25" body lift on my jeep. It also comes with a rear bumper relocation bracket, you can't even tell I installed it unless trained eyes look really hard. For $100 it's a cheap extra lift to hopefully keep my 35's from ripping my fenders off at full flex.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added a 1" body lift to my JK last year. I haven't seen any CON's yet. It gives a little gap between the rear bumper and tub, but I think I'm the only one that has noticed. I haven't noticed any shifting issues in ~22k miles. I would give it a big thumbs up.

I didn't "need" the 1" lift, but I got it cheap and figured what the hell. I haven't seen any adverse affects. My plan long term is a low center of gravity lift with a good amount of flex, so it should help in the long run.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I installed a body lift and have been pretty happy with it. I relocated my rear bumper and cut a bit out of the inner shift boot on my manual trans. For the $100 I paid, it did make my JK look a little more badass. As far as performance?... probably not worth it.

Quick Reply: Body lift pros n cons