Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

body lift install question

Old 03-16-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body lift install question

I am going to get a 1.25" rough country body lift for my birthday soon and I have gone though the installation instructions and am confused on one thing.

What kind of jack to you use? In the instructions everywhere it just says to jack up the body. In the tools it says you need a jack and a 2x4. All I have is a floor jack. Do you just cut a 2x4 to like 2 feet or so and place it on top of the floor jack sticking straight up? That doesn't seem safe. The pictures on their instructions show only where the jack meets the body and it is on a threaded shaft. I've never seen a jack like that. I thought about a bottle jack but i've never seen one that tall.

Any one done a body lift out there that knows what i'm talking about?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrhouse24
I am going to get a 1.25" rough country body lift for my birthday soon and I have gone though the installation instructions and am confused on one thing.

What kind of jack to you use? In the instructions everywhere it just says to jack up the body. In the tools it says you need a jack and a 2x4. All I have is a floor jack. Do you just cut a 2x4 to like 2 feet or so and place it on top of the floor jack sticking straight up? That doesn't seem safe. The pictures on their instructions show only where the jack meets the body and it is on a threaded shaft. I've never seen a jack like that. I thought about a bottle jack but i've never seen one that tall.

Any one done a body lift out there that knows what i'm talking about?

I did the same body lift on my Jeep. RC 1.25".

Essentially you answered your own question. I used a 2x4 maybe about ten inches long and put it on top of a jack in between jack and body then jacked the body up. If you want to be really safe, you can stack 2x4's long ways instead of having one straight up and down. I did this on another body lift install and it seemed much more stable. It then separates from the frame and you slide your body lift in and bolt it back together.

When you remove the bolts off of the actually body mount, when removed from the vehicle, you don't need a vice. Just use a hammer and a wrench and they will pop off. When you have them removed you'll know what I'm talking about.

I did this install in about 2 hours and I took my time.

Last edited by 09GRNJK; 03-16-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: More Detail
Old 03-16-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Ditto, did the same on mine I used a 4x4 on jack worked great. Good luck on your install.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

I installed the same kit. Used 2x4s about 8" long. Wasn't to much trouble, but like you, I was concerned about stability. I didn't keep my hand between the body and frame very long. Took about 2 hours to install, and I'm not much of a do it yourselfer.

Quick Reply: body lift install question