Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Body bolts' nuts spinning freely - help needed.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body bolts' nuts spinning freely - help needed.

I'm installing ACE rock sliders on my JKU but hit a snag.

The bolts that hold the body to the frame are not coming out. The nuts are spinning freely. All three of them on the same side (passenger). Did not try the other side yet, since I want to fix this one before moving to the other.

After a few installation searches it appears that the bolts should come out easily. Well, they would if the nuts were not spinning.

Any hints on how to fix them? I cannot reach them. Tried from the body side also but they seems to be encapsulated.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Put downward pressure they should come out
Old 02-22-2014, 04:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by awakeinny
Put downward pressure they should come out

Thanks! Had to use pliers to pull them while twisting. Looks like they have some kind of stuff that does not let the bolt come out easily.

To put the bolts back had to tap them with a rubber mallet so they would reach the nuts' threads.

After that installing the rock sliders was a breeze.

Is that "bolt hold" by design or something wrong in the factory installation? All of them required considerable force to get out.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that "bolt hold" by design, yep it what you said
Old 02-22-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

I think it's the locktitehttp://www.loctiteproducts.com/threa...chanical.shtml which you should have reapplied
Old 02-22-2014, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Exact same thing happened to me when I installed my Ace sliders. I used my impact wrench and pulled down while holding the washer. They came right out. I had no issue getting them back in. I used my floor jack to hold up the sliders while I tightened the bolts.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I watched a couple videos showing how to install the sliders. In both videos I noticed the bolts came out very easily.

In my case they wouldn't come out just with my hand pulling them while using the wrench. There was some kind of mechanical sruff grabbing them. They would rotate freely but would not get out. I had to pry them out with a lever and that's when I felt something like a spring or "teeth" holding them.

The opposite was the same. As I pushed them in I felt them going through some kind of "teeth" or anchor that would make a snap sound at it went through the bolts' threads. However, I had to tap them with the mallet until I felt the bolts' threads grabbing the nuts' threads.

It was a very awkward position holding the sliders with my legs and chest while shoving the bolts back in and feeling the threads so I would not damage them.

That anchor (or whatever it's called) seemed designed to prevent the bolt from falling if it gets loose. However, the strength would not be enough to hold the body on the frame. So, whatever it is does not look like good design.

I saw the bolts had blue locktite on their threads and placed a few drops, just in case. But, definitely it was not the locktite holding the bolts. It was something like a mechanical anchor.

Now I am curious to see how that thing looks like. Anyone?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bear9494
Exact same thing happened to me when I installed my Ace sliders. I used my impact wrench and pulled down while holding the washer. They came right out. I had no issue getting them back in. I used my floor jack to hold up the sliders while I tightened the bolts.
Same with mine. Grab the washer and pull down while using impact. I also found if you angle the bolt slightly it will "catch" and come out or bolt in much easier.
The following users liked this post:
jayheats (02-28-2023)
Old 02-23-2014, 01:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believe the bolts have captive washers on the top side of the frame to hold the bolts loosely in place on the assembly line. When the body and frame are mated together the bolt are already in place for the worker to just tighten.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im glad you posted this cause I am putting on Ace sliders today, now I know how to handle that issue. Do you have any pics ? we want to see your jeep after they are on

Quick Reply: Body bolts' nuts spinning freely - help needed.