Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Body Armor Trail Doors?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They sure could follow the body lines better, couldn't they?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bryz_rubi
I purchased these at the Denver Truck/Jeep Fest this past weekend based on fit/finish, and the heft of the material.
Excellent quality, and a two stage latch. (it catches the door, then another click locks them solid to the vehicle (no rattle)

That's what you really have to look out for on these types of doors.
I used to have the WP ones on my TJ and they were nice but lacked some simple enhancements.
Here were the issues:

CONS for WP
*More expensive than the Body Armor. (based on Truckfest pricing)
I know this is not a fair comparison because of truck fest pricing, but I paid $290 for one pair WP doors/nets.
Body Armor - I got both front and rear doors with nets for $450

*WP no place to mount mirrors, I was either going to get mirror extenders to mount to the A-pillar or weld a tab similar to the Body Armor so they swing with the door. (more money to weld, and then re-powder coat which should have been done originally.

*Doors rattled like crazy, even after adjustment to the door latch and the striker on the body. Too much play in the catch mechanism. (only a single catch)

*no tethers on the WP doors. They would be free swinging.
You can tighten down the bolds on the hinges to provide a little resistance so they don't swing 180 degrees, but still a tether would be ideal.

*WP did not come with the mesh/nets. $70 extra per pair.
the mesh on the WP looks nice but is not durable. Very thin.

CONS for the Body Armor
The rep at the show said you have to SLAM these doors to get them to lock in properly for the two position latch. He was right. I don't know what damage could result from this, but they do lock solid once slammed.

I was able to rock the vehicle side to side with the door closed and it was solid.
This does create a little bit of tension on the opening mechanism.

Not sure if posting pics will really help, they look just the original post.

I'm mounting the mirrors tonight, I was able to get the old TJ mirrors on ebay, I think knockoffs to OEM for $30 for the pair plus shipping.

I'll see how these hold up for the next few weeks with the rattles.
I'm going to see if I can get the back ones to fit a little bit better, there is play in the rear compared to the front.

~ Brian

Keep us posted on how these doors perform. I'm interested in getting a set of them.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't really care for those either. I'm with Armycop on this one, I like the Rancho's better.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bryz_rubi
I purchased these at the Denver Truck/Jeep Fest this past weekend based on fit/finish, and the heft of the material.
Excellent quality, and a two stage latch. (it catches the door, then another click locks them solid to the vehicle (no rattle)

That's what you really have to look out for on these types of doors.
I used to have the WP ones on my TJ and they were nice but lacked some simple enhancements.
Here were the issues:

CONS for the Body Armor
The rep at the show said you have to SLAM these doors to get them to lock in properly for the two position latch. He was right. I don't know what damage could result from this, but they do lock solid once slammed.

I was able to rock the vehicle side to side with the door closed and it was solid.
This does create a little bit of tension on the opening mechanism.

Not sure if posting pics will really help, they look just the original post.

I'm mounting the mirrors tonight, I was able to get the old TJ mirrors on ebay, I think knockoffs to OEM for $30 for the pair plus shipping.

I'll see how these hold up for the next few weeks with the rattles.
I'm going to see if I can get the back ones to fit a little bit better, there is play in the rear compared to the front.

~ Brian

bryz_rubi, does the netting come off in case you want to ride without it or if you at least need to remove it to have the tubes powdercoated?

Quick Reply: Body Armor Trail Doors?