Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Guards

Old 07-03-2007, 08:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the Body Armor rails don't follow the curve of the body? Hard to tell from the pic... ?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone here have the Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Guards for a 2dr JK? If so, do you like them? Have you hit hard on any rocks? Do they hold up?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok, so I've seen a couple posts now, some same the rockcrawler guards are frame mounted, others said body mounted. Which is it?

I am thinking of getting rockcrawler if they body mount, but not if they frame mount. I have a body lift and want something that mounts to body to hide pinch seem...

Edit: sorry im an idiot - i looked at pics on page 1 and can see they frame mount.

Last edited by redrockin7; 03-09-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 2 door body armor side guards

i just put a set on my 2dr and they are NOT frame mount. i do lilke them though, and i haven't come down REAL hard on any rocks, but i bounced it off a tree pretty good, no damage to my jeep and just a scuff on the armor. but they are NOT frame mounted. i think they were originally frame mounted but had a lot of trouble and switched the brackets... from what i can gather. i will try to figure out how to post a pic, i will post one of mine. unless they paint the frame to match the color of your jeep, and i'm an idiot... these are body mount.

Last edited by natburris; 03-13-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

I just threw a set of Body Armor Rails on yesterday. The hardest thing is figuring out their installation manual which is not really all that clear.

I removed Sahara side steps and the Body armor attached the same way the OE side steps do. 4 Bolts on each side to the pinch weld and 2 bolts to the bottom of the frame. I really like the look and they seem to be sturdy (much more so than the side steps).

For the $240.00 you can't really go wrong in my eyes.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by vgullotta
Does anyone here have the Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Guards for a 2dr JK? If so, do you like them? Have you hit hard on any rocks? Do they hold up?
have a set on my two door and bent the pinch seam on the passenger side rear this past weekend. i did hit pretty hard. wth better the seam than the rocker panel although i will have to straighten it before i bash it again.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redrockin7
Ok, so I've seen a couple posts now, some same the rockcrawler guards are frame mounted, others said body mounted. Which is it?

I am thinking of getting rockcrawler if they body mount, but not if they frame mount. I have a body lift and want something that mounts to body to hide pinch seem...

Edit: sorry im an idiot - i looked at pics on page 1 and can see they frame mount.
Not sure what pic was, but the ones I have on my 4dr are body mounted.
The first version was frame mounted, but they hit the body when it flexed.

Also, worth noting that if in the rust belt these rust bad. forget about the factory coating, after 1 winter in Ohio it is 50% gone. Now they need to come off to be ground, blasted, and recoated. When I complained, they basically said 'tuff you live in ohio'.
-wwiifirearms
Old 05-17-2010, 09:41 PM
JK Newbie

Default RockCrawler Side Guards by Body Armor

For what it is worth, I installed these about three weeks ago on my JK and took them out for the Cince de Rocko 2010 event near Calico Ghost town in the desert. Great event by-the-way. These were very budget-friendly when I bought them which made me wonder how well they would hold up. The attached photos show the one and only rock I lowered onto and pivoted on and the resulting amount of damage. The tube collapsed about 50% along a section about 18 inches long. To either side of that for about 8-12 inches on either side, the tube collapsed about 25-30%--so overall about 36+ inches are pretty smashed up. The good news is that the tube didn't bend much--maybe an 1/8" to 3/16" of an inch toward the body of the jeep and less than 1/8" vertically. I am anxious to more "testing" to see what happens next. I'll keep you posted when I get back out into the laboratory to see more results.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P5160302..jpg
Views:	162
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	68151   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06796..jpg
Views:	162
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	68152   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5160301..jpg
Views:	169
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	68153   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5160303..jpg
Views:	153
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	68157  
Old 05-18-2010, 12:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what its worth, I went with the mopar advanced ones on my 2door and I've landed on them hella hard on the Rubicon and all they did was scratch a little. no bending and no tube failure what-so-ever. For bod protection, these are rock solid. The step rail leaves a little to be desired as a step itsel, but these things took the full weight of the Jeep quite a few times and there's so little damage. If the body armor ones are failing so easy, they're either not built for rock crawling, or there was something wrong with the set you got.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

I want to upgrade my stock Rubi rails, but so far have to admit the few times I have come down on them I have done little more than scratch the bottom of them! I would like some more protection on the side....oh well...the quest continues...

Quick Reply: Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Guards