Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Guards

Old 05-23-2007, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Guards

Does anyone have the Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Guards? I like the looks of these, and I really like the fact that they bolt up to existing holes, but I would like to see some real-life pictures of them installed before I make my decision.

I like the Body Guard one's, because they cover the entire pinch seam and require no drilling. So far, they would be my first choice. My second choice would be the Pure Jeep ones (when they come out for the 4-doors), because they also cover the pinch seam and only require a few additional holes to be drilled into the pinch seam. I don't like the Shrockworks ones, because they leave the pinch seam completely exposed and require drilling the frame.

Anyway, if anyone has the Body Guard Rockcrawler Side Guards, I would sure like to see pictures.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree with you. The Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Guards are my first choice and PureJeep is my second, I like the look of both of these as well. But does anybody know when and where I can get a set of the Body Armor ones for a 2dr JK? I called Quadratec and the dude there told me that they don't have them yet. I checked out the body armor web page and they made it seem as if the side guards were already in production. So I am just trying to figure out how to get my hands on some. The part number is JK-4122 from the body armor web site.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

4wd.com is a vendor. If you go to BA's website, do a dealer lookup.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's a couple shots of the Body Armor guards...

Click here to see more pics

And, here are a couple shots of the PUREJEEP guards...

Click here to see more pics

I should point out that the PUREJEEP rails just require you to widen a couple of holes on the pinch seam to allow for bigger bolts to be used and is not that big of a deal at all. I should also note that the main squared tube section of the PUREJEEP rails are curved to match the contour of the JK body giving it a factory finish look and hides the pinch seam very well front to back and any which way you look at it.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow.....I didnt notice that curve before on the PJ sliders. That is SLICK! I imagine getting a huge chunk of square tubing to bend just right for that contour isn't easy to get right.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, like not released until this fall difficult from the email I received from them this week. I really want those but the wife won't let me wait until fall to put steps on the Jeep....
Old 07-01-2007, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sharp looking!
Are these both equally as STRONG as the shrockworks?

I'm assuming these both mount to the body where the shrockworks mount to frame? I was told by some to not under estimate the strength of the pinch seem and that you could jack off from these. I'm thinking this is true because these are rock sliders so they are made to support the jeep over rocks so it should support the jeeps full weight right?

Thanks guys in advance
Old 07-01-2007, 09:00 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiophiliac
Wow.....I didnt notice that curve before on the PJ sliders. That is SLICK! I imagine getting a huge chunk of square tubing to bend just right for that contour isn't easy to get right.
No, it ain't easy and is why so many manufacturers are electing to not do it. It is also the reason why it's been taking so long to get them released.

Originally Posted by Milkman
Yep, like not released until this fall difficult from the email I received from them this week. I really want those but the wife won't let me wait until fall to put steps on the Jeep....
Well, I didn't think it was going to be that long before they are available but I'm sure experience has told them that it's better to give a later date and deliver early if at all possible then to say it is out now and never have anything to show for it.

Originally Posted by rogu3JK
Sharp looking!
Are these both equally as STRONG as the shrockworks?

I'm assuming these both mount to the body where the shrockworks mount to frame? I was told by some to not under estimate the strength of the pinch seem and that you could jack off from these. I'm thinking this is true because these are rock sliders so they are made to support the jeep over rocks so it should support the jeeps full weight right?

Thanks guys in advance
The Body Armor guards mount to the frame much like the Shrockworks set except they use existing holes in the frame and require no drilling. And, while they do cover up the pinch seam, I don't believe they physically attach to it. That would create a ridged connection between the body and frame and wouldn't be a good idea.

Now, the PUREJEEP rails connect to the pinch seam and tub just like the factory Rubicon rails do with extra support brackets and I can tell you from personal experience that they are exceptionally strong, can take the abuse and can be used as a jack point. I have certainly given them a good beating and Off Road Evolution has done even worse to them in Disney, OK and the Hammers here in SoCal.

As far as Shrockworks rails go, all I can say is that I have run and punished these as well on my JK and the most damage they have taken are a few scratches on the powder coating. Need I say, they have protected my Jeep extremely well.

Last edited by wayoflife; 07-01-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks WOL,
Judging by the gap from the body to rails on the body armor ones, do you think you'd be washing \ picking out as much debris as you do with the stock rubi rails? I REALLY hate to see pebbles in there scratching the body up and trapping moisture under there.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rogu3JK
... and that you could jack off from these.

These are pretty nice and all, but I don't think I'd do that to them.

Quick Reply: Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Guards