Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Body Armor rear bumper and Garage Pro roof rack base install issue

Old 04-20-2014, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting thread, For those interested I did the rack install with stock bumpers, link in sig block.
The rear body armor mount variance is an interesting solution, I know my JCW rack was rated at 350lbs , i suspect the body armor is 250?

Was the wiring of the light bar a PITA? mine was dmn near impossible to get through the corner vertical brace but eventually got it done.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantasm
Interesting thread, For those interested I did the rack install with stock bumpers, link in sig block.
The rear body armor mount variance is an interesting solution, I know my JCW rack was rated at 350lbs , i suspect the body armor is 250?

Was the wiring of the light bar a PITA? mine was dmn near impossible to get through the corner vertical brace but eventually got it done.
I pulled the wires through each pipe while I was assembling the rack, used a coat hanger, its easier to pull the wires from one end vs. the other based on the bend/welds in the joints.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vulcan classic
Finished the install, a few pics: Had to cut off some of the bumper gusset to clear the rear mount. I ran some wire for lights, along the driver side, both to the rear light bar and up the front pillar to the front light bar. With the crossbars mounted I can still drive in and out of my garage at 82" opening even with 35's and 3.5" lift, which is cool. I plan on adding LED combo light bar up front and some type of floods in the rear. Have about 4.5" to work with in the front but rear is tight so may have to modify the rear light bar mounts to clear the garage entrance. This thing is rock solid, had to use ratchet straps to pull everything together during assembly. I added some O-rings at each of the joints to seal it up and eliminate rattling. Test drove it at 65 mph and a little noisy but with soft top it was already noisy, no big deal. The powder coat is good quality, had to touch up a bit on the three crossbars which are all same length and the rack is pretty square front front to back. The quick knobs are a joke so I just snapped apart and used the screw and nylon locknuts from them same as the other hardware. Hardest part of this whole mod was dealing with JCW to get all the parts. For $253 shipped I think it's a great deal, and I have a basket to throw on it, made from two Harbor Freight ATV cargo racks bolted together, 40x48" finished size, cost about $65 total for both.

It looks great! I currently have the Congo Cage but will likely change it for this model. The Congo Cage was poorly designed and does not allow the use of the soft top in the SunRider position. Only totally opened or closed. I called them and they virtually said it is what it is. I thought about raising the Congo Cage but it would look too high.

So, now I am considering other options and like this one, mostly because we do not have to swivel the rack backwards to open and close the softtop. Let alone that the Congo Cage does not even allow for using the SunRider.

When did you buy this one? Was it a promotion? I just checked JCW and they seem to have jacked up the prices.

Quick Reply: Body Armor rear bumper and Garage Pro roof rack base install issue