Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

On board water

Old 01-22-2016, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC4b-q2Lx4w
Old 01-25-2016, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Frontrunner slanted tank Slanted Water Tank it holds 50 liters or 13.2 gallons of water. Hook a water pump up and you are good to go.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by thegoat
I like the Frontrunner slanted tank Slanted Water Tank it holds 50 liters or 13.2 gallons of water. Hook a water pump up and you are good to go.
I like the idea for this but I only have a 2 door so the space is already limited. Putting this in would eliminate being able to use the space behind the seat at all.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Alright I'm going to bring this thread back up to the top bc my idea is still in the works. I have found several different tanks and ideas. One idea is going to still consider mounting it up top on the roof rack but I'm thinking about the weight issue. I am considering using fresh water tank from a pop up camper which the one I found is 17 gallons. Also another idea I have going through my head is relocating the exhaust to be a shorty dump and then using a gas tank skid plate from a 1996 and below jeep Cherokee with a new plastic gas tank or a water tank of some sort mounted where the stock muffler was mounted. I already have a gas tank skid to do mock up from a previous Cherokee I owned.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas to throw out there??

here a picture of the skid plate for reference. photo gotten from google but same thing.

also here I the Tank I was considering mounting to the roof rack. its slim and would distribute the weight well.
Pop Up camper 17 5 Gallon Fresh Water Tank C R | eBay
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gastankskid.png
Views:	137
Size:	481.5 KB
ID:	637445  
Old 02-13-2016, 02:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Just a consideration: My experience is that as you build a Jeep for extended travel the bulk of the weight ends up on the rear axle. Storage drawers, refrigerators, tools, water jugs, food, extra gas, Hi-Lift, etc all end up back there. The rear will sag and you'll be soon running around on your bumpstops. Whenever you get a chance to shift some weight forward (not upward), it's a good idea to consider it.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mud Pilot
Alright I'm going to bring this thread back up to the top bc my idea is still in the works. I have found several different tanks and ideas. One idea is going to still consider mounting it up top on the roof rack but I'm thinking about the weight issue. I am considering using fresh water tank from a pop up camper which the one I found is 17 gallons. Also another idea I have going through my head is relocating the exhaust to be a shorty dump and then using a gas tank skid plate from a 1996 and below jeep Cherokee with a new plastic gas tank or a water tank of some sort mounted where the stock muffler was mounted. I already have a gas tank skid to do mock up from a previous Cherokee I owned.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas to throw out there??

here a picture of the skid plate for reference. photo gotten from google but same thing.

also here I the Tank I was considering mounting to the roof rack. its slim and would distribute the weight well.
Pop Up camper 17 5 Gallon Fresh Water Tank C R | eBay
I like the idea of mounting a tank lower rather than on the roof. 125lbs on the roof would be pretty noticeable even around town. If you do end up with a roof tank, you might want to think about uv exposure. White poly, like the 17 gal ebay tank you referenced, will degrade and crack with constant sunlight exposure. You could keep it covered or use a colored uv resistant tank.

I use my stock rear bumper in conjunction with a pump and heat exchanger plumbed into the engine cooling system and it gives me ~7 gal water at any temp i want in 5 min or less. Not for drinking but great for hot showers.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by etiwandablues
I like the idea of mounting a tank lower rather than on the roof. 125lbs on the roof would be pretty noticeable even around town. If you do end up with a roof tank, you might want to think about uv exposure. White poly, like the 17 gal ebay tank you referenced, will degrade and crack with constant sunlight exposure. You could keep it covered or use a colored uv resistant tank.

I use my stock rear bumper in conjunction with a pump and heat exchanger plumbed into the engine cooling system and it gives me ~7 gal water at any temp i want in 5 min or less. Not for drinking but great for hot showers.

do you have any info of how you did your heat exchanger In with the engine cooling system. I'm thinking of doing the same thing if I mount it below.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got my water bladders. They're from the Swiss Army and very rugged.
They hold 5 gallons each.

I also ordered a custom shower head/hose that fits the bladder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1646.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	626.5 KB
ID:	637877Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1651.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	523.0 KB
ID:	637878Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1652.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	637879
Old 02-16-2016, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

If you don't mind cutting the tub Genright had a tank that replaces the storage compartment in the rear.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When we dispersed camp we just use a couple 7 gallon Reliance "Aqua-Tainer" water containers.

We'll put one on top of our gear trailer and shower under it standing on a piece of plywood.

Also have a little propane hot shower system for when it's cold out. Came from Cabelas. Short showers, but makes a big difference.

Last edited by arjeeper; 02-17-2016 at 04:12 AM.

Quick Reply: On board water