Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which On Board Compressor is best?

Old 08-13-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which On Board Compressor is best?

So the JK engine compartment is so crammed full of engine my MaxAir 4.0 won't fit under the hood of the JK, even though it's awesome (Are they out of biz? Website down) .

So any recommendations? I'm running 40's and need a lot of air coming off the trail.

Looks like it's either the ARB CKMA12 HD for airing tires, or the ViAir 450C (is there a better ViAir for on board air that will fit the brackets for under hood mount beside the brake master cylinder?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the Viair but I mounted it in the pocket where the stock jack used to be.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmdchewie
I went with the Viair but I mounted it in the pocket where the stock jack used to be.
That sounds slick! Any photos? Which ViAir?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with the Viar air source 20005. I like everything in one unit. I'm going to come off my rockhard evap skid with a bolt on plate between the skid and frame and mount it on that, running a fresh air intake to somewhere high up in the engine compartment.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I went with the Viar air source 20005. I like everything in one unit. I'm going to come off my rockhard evap skid with a bolt on plate between the skid and frame and mount it on that, running a fresh air intake to somewhere high up in the engine compartment.

I thought about that, but the heat under the vehicle is bad, and over time it will get caked with dirt/mud/H20 etc, so that's not an option for me. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to upload the picture, I mounted mine where the stock jack used to be, The remote air filter is mounted to the left side of the trunk wall just under the roll bar and the air tank is mounted to a Treks muffler skid under the jeep with a 12 volt air valve so I can drain it with a flip of a switch. Then I ran a line up front and put a gauge in my custom switch panel and connections for the air on the kick panels near the tether straps for the doors.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry, off topic, but will any of these compressors run air tools? Or does it depend more on the size air tank you have?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you wanna run air tools effectively, best to get a Powertank.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Slippery
I thought about that, but the heat under the vehicle is bad, and over time it will get caked with dirt/mud/H20 etc, so that's not an option for me. Thanks!
I understand. That was a concern for me as well, but I spoke with a viar rep and he assured me that although not waterproof, the unit is water resistant enough to withstand anything but being submerged and could probably handle that for short periods.

Quick Reply: Which On Board Compressor is best?