Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

On Board air vs. Powerplant Winch opinions

Old 02-28-2013, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On Board air vs. Powerplant Winch opinions

I need 'educated' opinions on the best way to have air.

I have a 2012 JK 2dr Rubicon with a Teraflex 3" longarm lift & 35" tires. I run between 28 - 32 #s on the street and air down to 12 #s.

Since I have a 2dr, storage space is important to me and I don't want portable air compressors or air tanks in the way. (I go on several back country Jeep camping trips a year - some too rugged to tow a trailer)

I'm considering an Expedition one Core series bumper and a Warn Powerplant winch with synthetic rope. The bumper will allow the large winch to sit low. The cost of the winch and then the extra cost of the rope is a lot of $$$. (I want the rope to save weight up front.) The plus is that the winch is an air compressor too. Does this unit do a reasonably good job at airing up tires?

I am also considering a PSC Brawler Lite bumper with a standard winch with rope to save weight and put a separate on board compressor. The problem is the the 2012 has little options to mount a compressor and air tank. (I always want the next larger system than needed). The cost of a quality winch with synthetic rope and the on board compressor should be several hundred $$$ less but there will be more labor to install both items. Which on board compressor system works well and that fits on a 2012? Is having an extra air tank helpful? I'll need to protect any tank as I sometimes boulder hop and may slip off and hit the frame.

What works for you?

Thx...
Old 02-28-2013, 03:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't comment on makes / models. But I've never been a fan of those "all-in-one" deals. Usually you have to sacrifice the performance of both to get them both in the same package. And if you have problems with one, the other piece makes the repairs more complicated. It may be more trouble up front to do separate systems. But you will end up with a better system all around.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Viair 400H mounted underhood on my 2012 and like it. I am only currently running 265/75-r16, but it has NO problem airing them up quickly. The underhood mount is pretty slick too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-15_1805511_zps0a432763.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	428171
Old 03-01-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default air compressor

Originally Posted by azsandrider
I need 'educated' opinions on the best way to have air.

I have a 2012 JK 2dr Rubicon with a Teraflex 3" longarm lift & 35" tires. I run between 28 - 32 #s on the street and air down to 12 #s.

Since I have a 2dr, storage space is important to me and I don't want portable air compressors or air tanks in the way. (I go on several back country Jeep camping trips a year - some too rugged to tow a trailer)

I'm considering an Expedition one Core series bumper and a Warn Powerplant winch with synthetic rope. The bumper will allow the large winch to sit low. The cost of the winch and then the extra cost of the rope is a lot of $$$. (I want the rope to save weight up front.) The plus is that the winch is an air compressor too. Does this unit do a reasonably good job at airing up tires?

I am also considering a PSC Brawler Lite bumper with a standard winch with rope to save weight and put a separate on board compressor. The problem is the the 2012 has little options to mount a compressor and air tank. (I always want the next larger system than needed). The cost of a quality winch with synthetic rope and the on board compressor should be several hundred $$$ less but there will be more labor to install both items. Which on board compressor system works well and that fits on a 2012? Is having an extra air tank helpful? I'll need to protect any tank as I sometimes boulder hop and may slip off and hit the frame.

What works for you?

Thx...
I have the Warn powerplant 12,000lb powerplant & I am 100% satisfied it puts out out 5cfm per min @ 90psi with a long duty cycle { I dont rember the exact stats } I have aired up 2 jeeps one after the other and did not slow down. I dont think Warn sacrificed on either end. The biggest thing I have pulled out was a full size bronco in mud up to his floorboards NO problem. I dont regret spending the extra. Engo makes one with a air compressor but it only puts out 1/3rd the cfm's of the Warn. I am in the same boat as you 2dr. no room for extras.

Quick Reply: On Board air vs. Powerplant Winch opinions