Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

On Board Air Install with Train Horn

Old 11-15-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to do the same on mine and read that the closer you put the solenoid to the horns the quicker the response from switch activation to horn blast. i like the viair constant duty system then split from tank to solenoid to horns and tank to output for tires. Good luck and let me know how it all works out and which setup you went with.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dstack701
Good stuff there...thanks

Also, Does anyone know the response time on these air horns. I assume the tank remains pressurized al the time, then when a switch is flipped and the horn is honked.....does it take a few seconds to get blasting?

AND...I assume the tank loses pressure over time and the compressor needs to refill it, that is even if you haven't used it.....is this correct? Do you guys with horns just leave the compressor on and when the tank gets below a certain point have the compressor fill it automatically? Does that make sense?
I usually leave my tank pressure at 90psi. I have a slow leak, takes a couple weeks for it to even leak down to 60psi. I just kick the compressor on every few days to keep it at 90, or after I've blown it a few times. Even at that, it doesn't drop dramitically. The horn has no delay, hit the button and she blows.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

O.K.What is the use of a HORNdo you not like the Horn that is factory.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ckivy
O.K.What is the use of a HORNdo you not like the Horn that is factory.
Well....The area I park my jeep in for work, it's not uncommon to have a homeless bum sleeping in your back seat. That is when you have the doors off. Also, driving through Atlanta and the northern suburbs, you tend to run into a ton a a**h*** driver's, including Taxi's, dumb blonde housewives on cell phones, and every other person on the road. I'm just trying to grab my own piece of the highway. Oh and when the pinhead who doesn't stop at the stop sign in my nieghborhood, I can gently let him know I'm coming. And if you're thinking that's not nieghborly....well I say come by my house during Christmas, or the summer boating season, or during any weekend at my house. Yes, we are THOSE nieghbors, yet oddly enough, everyone loves all that crazy crap my family does.

(Disclaimer: I'm the greatest driver that has ever lived, I know everything and I'm never wrong in terms of driving etiquette and law.)....
Old 11-15-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff there...thanks

Also, Does anyone know the response time on these air horns. I assume the tank remains pressurized al the time, then when a switch is flipped and the horn is honked.....does it take a few seconds to get blasting?

AND...I assume the tank loses pressure over time and the compressor needs to refill it, that is even if you haven't used it.....is this correct? Do you guys with horns just leave the compressor on and when the tank gets below a certain point have the compressor fill it automatically? Does that make sense?
I have mine tied into the regular horn button in the steering wheel. I have a switch, in 1 position the regular horn blows, in the other the airhorns blow. The switch and air compressor are wired to only work when the key is on. If the key is off the rgular horn blows no matter what position the switch is in. The compressor will not come on unless the key is on no matter how low the pressure drops.

The train horns blow immediately when I push the horn button. That's what nice about having the tank, you don't have to wait for the compressor to build up pressure , it's always there if the tank is full.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

Correct me if I'm wrong but an air tank is required for a train/air horn correct? It can't be run just off a compressor such as the ARB under hood compressor.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bean69
i want to do the same on mine and read that the closer you put the solenoid to the horns the quicker the response from switch activation to horn blast.
I don't see why this would be so... I doubt any of us could tell the difference between how fast electricity travels 3 feet or 10 feet.

Correct me if I'm wrong but an air tank is required for a train/air horn correct? It can't be run just off a compressor such as the ARB under hood compressor.
That is correct. Compressor only is fine for inflating tires and beach toys, but if you want to run a horn or tools you must have a tank.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

I just ordered my Viair Constant Duty kit from Dave tonight, unfortunatly it won't get here til after Thanksgiving. Oh well, I'll survive, maybe.

This is all thanks to another forum member who bought my old stock wheels and my AMEX year end cash back. Now hopefully I can get my horn for Christmas.

Has anyone installed this system themselves? Any advice? Or write up?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

Has anyone installed this system themselves? Any advice? Or write up?
Hate to quote myself but, I'm doing the install and I'm running into some issues. I suck with automotive electrical.....but I'm following these instructions to the T and they say to test the compressor but I'm getting nothing?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Realize this thread is pretty dated, but was wondering how the set up turned out and if you have any pics of the install?

Quick Reply: On Board Air Install with Train Horn