Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

On Board Air Install with Train Horn

Old 11-14-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On Board Air Install with Train Horn

Alright, first off I've utilized the search feature and found alot of useful information about OBA systems but I can't find any details on a horn install.

Here is what I want....

1) A system without a duty cycle or needed cool down time, becuase i'm impatient
2) I do NOT need to run air tools, I just what to use the system to air up my tires which are 34s at the moment but may upgrade to 37s in the future and a train horn.
3) The horn is just for fun and not for sadistic use.

I was looking at the Viair Constant Duty system but I do not know how a train horn is installed so I have no clue what to look for. Also Hornblasters has complete kits but I don't know if those are just to run horns or if they can air up tires as well.

Can someone shed a little light on what I should be looking for to run my desired setup? Is install simple enough for an average Joe to do?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Call Viar.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:31 PM
JK Super Freak

The hornblasters require an air tank, so there is no reason you can't plumb off the tank to fill tires also.
And as you stated above, you'll just have to pick a compressor that has a 100% duty cycle.

Are you driving a 2dr or an unlimited? Those train horns take a lot of space to mount!

Last edited by horwitzs; 11-14-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

there should be an outlet on the air tank that you can connect the the air valve, for that to a distribution block, and from that to the horns. And of corse you will have to wire it up, but that should be EZ...
Old 11-14-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by horwitzs
The hornblasters require an air tank, so there is no reason you can't plumb off the tank to fill tires also.
And as you stated above, you'll just have to pick a compressor that has a 100% duty cycle.

Are you driving a 2dr or an unlimited? Those train horns take a lot of space to mount!
I've got an unlimited.

And I know they take up some space. I was thinking behind the grill as some have done or tucked up under the body somewhere with a skidplate for protection.

Now I've never played around with anything like this before so I'm not quite sure how to rig up the horn.

I'm not sure which route is better:
-Buy an OBA system and add a horn to it
OR
-Buy a system meant to run a horn and modify it to use as an OBA system

Obviously price is a big consideration, but nay advice is welcomed.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I gotta homade system with a harbor freight compressor, 6gal air tank and fire engine horn. Works fine for airing up, but even with a tank, 37's take awhile. Have to let the compressor cool abit after 2 tires. $50 for the compressor is my total investment cause the one I was given with th airtank and horn went kaput after several months( And it was about 6yrs old). Good to know people who work on fire engines. Got all the solenoids, airline, switches, fittings and such for free. Along with the tank and compressor which my friend already had. I don't see anyprobs with whichever way you go. You may be able to find the horns cheaper from somewhere else. Think retail on one FE horn is about $80

Last edited by mkjeep; 11-14-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I gotta homade system with a harbor freight compressor, 6gal air tank and fire engine horn. Works fine for airing up, but even with a tank, 37's take awhile. Have to let the compressor cool abit after 2 tires. $50 for the compressor is my total investment cause the one I was given with th airtank and horn went kaput after several months( And it was about 6yrs old). Good to know people who work on fire engines. Got all the solenoids, airline, switches, fittings and such for free. Along with the tank and compressor which my friend already had. I don't see anyprobs with whichever way you go. You may be able to find the horns cheaper from somewhere else. Think retail on one FE horn is about $80
FE horn? Where can I find those?

I am leaning towards hornblasters simply because they really sound like trains and not just loud car horns.

Any suggestions on where to find a good set of horns is always welcomed.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are the same horns hornblasters sells. I got them from suicidedoors.com. There is a link in that thread to the tank and compressor install too.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/airhorns-61832/#post791840

I think if I were to do it again I would mount the compressor inside the body behind the rear lights as I've seen others do since I did my install.

Get a big enough tank and the duty cycle of the compressor wont really matter. But for airing up tires and blowing the train horn you don't need much.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dstack701
FE horn? Where can I find those?

I am leaning towards hornblasters simply because they really sound like trains and not just loud car horns.

Any suggestions on where to find a good set of horns is always welcomed.
Airhorns of texas.com is one place, also google grover air horns
Old 11-15-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Airhorns of texas.com is one place, also google grover air horns
Good stuff there...thanks

Also, Does anyone know the response time on these air horns. I assume the tank remains pressurized al the time, then when a switch is flipped and the horn is honked.....does it take a few seconds to get blasting?

AND...I assume the tank loses pressure over time and the compressor needs to refill it, that is even if you haven't used it.....is this correct? Do you guys with horns just leave the compressor on and when the tank gets below a certain point have the compressor fill it automatically? Does that make sense?

Quick Reply: On Board Air Install with Train Horn