Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

On Board Air choices need made - help!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On Board Air choices need made - help!

Still waiting for my factory delivery of my Rubicon Unlimited. Until then, I planning to make the time go by faster.

One of the things I want to do is add on-board air system. Should I go for the Kilby system .kilbyenterprises.com/KE-2200-K.htm[/url] or go with a Warn system .warn.com/truck/winches/powerplant_hp.shtml[/url] ?

I am concerned about Jeep honoring warranty if adding the Kilby system. The Warn seems more straight forward install and should not cause problems with Jeep warranties.

What do you recommend?

Last edited by mkjeep; 06-06-2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: nononsponsorclicky
Old 06-06-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scramblin_Jim
Still waiting for my factory delivery of my Rubicon Unlimited. Until then, I planning to make the time go by faster.

One of the things I want to do is add on-board air system. Should I go for the Kilby system .kilbyenterprises.com/KE-2200-K.htm[/url] or go with a Warn system warn.com/truck/winches/powerplant_hp.shtml[/url] ?

I am concerned about Jeep honoring warranty if adding the Kilby system. The Warn seems more straight forward install and should not cause problems with Jeep warranties.

What do you recommend?

After looking at both products I would spend a few more bucks and get the warn. It comes with the winch as well. the other one is just the air system. just my 2 cents

Last edited by mkjeep; 06-06-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

warn powerplant
Old 06-06-2010, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...&highlight=oba

I bought just the brackets for the compressor from ORO and made everthing else for mine. I have a total of $500 invested in my OBA system. Bought a lot of the parts cheap, so it did not drive up the cost so much.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:43 PM
JK Junkie

HANDS DOWN a York engine driven compressor. I've used many electrics, NOTHING comes even CLOSE to this. Did the same thing, ORO bracket and built it the rest myself.

Installed a York 206 OBA setup in the JK. Got the 206 for $30 from my friend who loves collecting parts from older AMC/Jeep. Used Off Road Only's bracket kit and Woods/JeepSwag air manifold. Check valve and oil separator from Grainger. 5 gallon air tank reserve from Sears. Used a 5,000 PSI hydraulic hose as the output form the compressor (gets VERY hot VERY fast). Steel braided, holds the pressure and heat MINT. The rest is 3/8" 300 PSI line. Run 150 PSI pressure switch. Airs the 5 gallon tank in 2:18. Airs a 35" MT/R from 9 PSI to 28 PSI in 1:32 on idle. Run my 1/2" impact with no issues and plenty of reserve on the tank for all 5 lugs. Trail repairs will be MUCH faster now. Removed the head cover and drilled/tapped for 3/8" NPT. Created and welded my own brackets for the check valve and oil separator.
I don't care what anyone says, belt driven compressors are the way to go. I've had ARB electrics, Harbor Friehgt electrics, they are NO comparison.

Total cost was $490 vs. $1,100-$1,200 from Kilby/ORO. If you can make things yourself...do it.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Slightlymodified
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...&highlight=oba

I bought just the brackets for the compressor from ORO and made everthing else for mine. I have a total of $500 invested in my OBA system. Bought a lot of the parts cheap, so it did not drive up the cost so much.
Suffolk JK & Slightlymodified: Well I was wondering more about hassles later when Jeep may not honor a warranty issue because of a home brew system. So are you saying you never considered any warranty problems or discounted the warranty altogether?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:18 PM
JK Junkie

I've taken my JK to the dealer twice, they didn't say a damn thing.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Suffolk, that is a really nice looking system. Wish I had the know-how to do something like that!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scramblin_Jim
Suffolk JK & Slightlymodified: Well I was wondering more about hassles later when Jeep may not honor a warranty issue because of a home brew system. So are you saying you never considered any warranty problems or discounted the warranty altogether?
My dealer just comented how nice my install was and never said anything about it voiding the warranty. It has been at the dealer 3 times since i installed this system for recalls. If you look at my link it looks just as good as the Kilby setup, except i did not butch up the plastic under the ABS lines next to the brake booster. I fabricated my bracket to accomidate a similar setup to the Kilby setup, but used one bolt off of my booster to mount it and two small self tapping screws in the plastic. If i take mine off, the only way you would know that it was installed, is the rivnuts holding the air tank in and the two holes where my gauge manifold bracket screw into the plastic. I installed mine so that it would be easy to work on. The oil seperator and braided teflon hose i bought on Ebay for less than $20. The braided hose has a 1000 degree temperature rating and a 1200 psi burst rating. Basically what you need is the compressor, oil seperator, check valve, pop off valve, pressure switch, air gauge is optional, manifold, air tank, hose, and air fittings. My air manifold was $15 off of Ebay. My system starts at any pressure below 110 psi and shuts off at 150 psi. My pressure relief valve is set at 185 PSI. My air hose is standard push lock fittings and hose which is way cheaper than the goodyear instagrip hose that Kilby sells. I did buy the oil return line kit from Kilby because i was having a hard time finding the correct fittings locally.

Last edited by Slightlymodified; 06-07-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
HANDS DOWN a York engine driven compressor. I've used many electrics, NOTHING comes even CLOSE to this. Did the same thing, ORO bracket and built it the rest myself.

Airs the 5 gallon tank in 2:18. Airs a 35" MT/R from 9 PSI to 28 PSI in 1:32 on idle.
Mine is similar in performance. 32 seconds to fill my 2.5 gal air tank and 54 sec to fill my 37" BFG's up from 5 to 32 PSI at idle. Mine is a York 210 with the long stroke.

Quick Reply: On Board Air choices need made - help!