Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which OBA would you choose if you had the money in hand???
Kilby
50.00%
ORO
22.00%
Other belt driven system not listed above.
28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

On Board Air

Old 10-05-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bump

bump to top
Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

CSIMS, here is my write-up on a similar system:
Fire Engine Horn & On-Board Air.

Even though this electric compressor works just fine, I would prefer a belt driven compressor simply for the fact that you can run air tools off of them and just get more air faster. This is a temporary set-up in regards to tank and horn placement, I have bigger and better ideas when I get time and cash. I would like to get a swing out tire carrier and put a black scuba tank vertical next to the spare tire plumbed with braided hose. I would also like to move the horn up behind the bumper for added protection. But for now... the system works great and is loud as hell.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

$1000 bucks for OBA?
$1000 OBA + $900 winch or Warn PowerPlant for $1600...
You'll save a few bucks for the bumper...
Old 05-09-2009, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

I know how frustrating it can be to post a question and get fifty opinions and replies that don't actually answer the question or tell you you're stupid for considering it in the first place so.. er... here's another one!

Well I won't tell you you're stupid for considering it -- in fact I wish more people would go the belt-drive route so they could report back. The whole idea just seems so much cleaner, and the performance so much better, that I don't think $1200 is too much to spend. I settled for a hard mounted ARB electric compressor, but I hate the idea of taking rotational engine power, turning it into 12V electric via the alternator, routing it to the ARB compressor, only to have it turned back into rotational power by a much smaller motor so I can air up my tires or lock up my axles. Ugh.

Stick with it -- let us know how it works
Old 05-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Jsr
JK Enthusiast

Default Tough Call...

I would to tend to favor the Kilby brand, and have only done a small amount of research backing that up.
After considering my application the Viair Constant Duty OBA was a good fit.
(I've invested around half of your budget.)

Application, Budget and Personal Preference is my advice.
Why because its on your JEEP.
There's the way - now lets see the write up!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Well I pulled the trigger

Guys and Gals,
I pulled the trigger on the ORO kit. I now have a belt driven compressor with reserve tank. I was able to find a slightly used kit for under a thousand. I now have it installed and it is so much better than any other electric compressor set up I have had in the past. This thing is a beast. If anyone has any questions in reguards to a belt driven system let me know. Chris
Old 05-11-2009, 07:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How bout some pics? I will be hopin you never get in a situation where your Jeep doesn't run and you need air.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:18 AM
JK Newbie

I have a valair and a 2.5 gal tank. It cost about 500.00 and i can run air tools of of it.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:40 PM
JK Freak

I went with the ORO bracket and sourced the other items out.I have about $400 in my setup.
Im amazed at all the hate here about the belt driven compressors. Ive ran the Kilby setups on most of my jeeps and prefer the yorks to electrics hands down.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Is Louder?

I have heard mention that the electric compressor is louder than a constant duty, Kilby set up. One sounds like an engine running and the other is definitely a running air compressor. Both set ups can provide your for your OBA needs.

Can anyone say either way, about the noise?

Thanks

Quick Reply: On Board Air